Cycle Question

Aug 7, 2005
Houston TX
For some reason, I just do not get cycling. I hear so many different things about it that it gets quite confusing. I know you are trying to eliminate nitrites and ammonia, but I am not sure exactly when you would consider a tank cycled, or when to do the 50+% water change. I have been cycling my GBR tank for about a week now. At first I rigourously shook the filter media of one of my established tanks in the new tank, and also added some gravel from the established tank. After a couple days I added 2 black neon tetras and the next day I added 3 more. I just did readings and the nitrite was very low, but not 0 (about .5ppm), and the ammonia was the same, very low but not quite zero (on the test kit it was in the "safe" but not the "ideal" zone(about .25ppm)). Am I due for the large water change yet? How much longer until the cycle is complete? I really want to add the GBRs but I want to be sure the tank is safe for them first. In my established tanks there are more nitrite than in this cycling one, and they are both doing just fine. I read on another thread that you want to have 0 nitrite before you do the water change and well I just don't know what to do and its hurting my brain. If anyone can understand all of this and enlighten me on exactly how far along I am, how long I have left to go, and what to do now, I would be immensely greatful.

By the way, there are no nitrates, the water is quite soft (i used RO water), ph is very low (around 6.6), and the alkalinity is very low. Water change will also be done with RO water. I don't know what other details you might want so let me know and I will provide them as best I can.

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
Can't date cycles, it's like saying how long a cold will last. Be patient at this, and yeah just be careful with adding fish all at once. I know you want the tank set-up fast, but remember fishless cycle is best. Keep looking at the levels to ensure your neons don't get exposed to any high levels. Good Luck!

Last edited:

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Your tank is cycled when both your ammonia and nitrite read 0.

Given the amount of seed bacteria you put in the tank, your cycle should be fairly short, and the levels shouldn't get too high.

There really isn't a need for a large water change at the end of the cycle when you are doing a "fish-in" cycle. With a fishless cycle, the cycle process generates a _lot_ of nitrate which you have to remove. With a fish-in cycle, there is no need for any larger than normal water changes. Just your regular water changes, preferably 20% weekly at a minimum, more if your nitrates climb over 30 or so...

trav_19

Small Fish
Dec 7, 2006
my cycle took almost a month! so it will be hard to know if it is done and you may also get another mini cycle as mentioned above...be careful how many fish you add so soon... i put some uhh expendible fish in to get it rolling...was told it helped but i have also read no fish is good so if you already have fish in leave them ..i had 2 teras a pleco and a redfin cat, they all lived for 5+ months except yesterday the ice storm killed the tetras and the redfin comitited suiside a week after i got it lol. but my point was they were fine through the cycle...i would just stay away from any nice/expensive fish for awhile.