cycle question

Dec 4, 2009
I am now several weeks into cycling my 55 gallon aquarium. On the advice of the lfs I started cycling with goldfish. I have 6 goldfish in there now that are looking very happy and healthy. My ammonia spiked and since has come down to 0.25 ppm and my nitrites spiked and are on the way down, currently at between 0.1 and 0.2 ppm. Should I be worried that my ammonia has remained constant at 0.25 ppm for approx 2 weeks now? Is this normal and I jsut need to give it more time for the ammonia to drop to zero? I had thought that the ammonia would be at zero by now.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
I am now several weeks into cycling my 55 gallon aquarium. On the advice of the lfs I started cycling with goldfish. I have 6 goldfish in there now that are looking very happy and healthy. My ammonia spiked and since has come down to 0.25 ppm and my nitrites spiked and are on the way down, currently at between 0.1 and 0.2 ppm. Should I be worried that my ammonia has remained constant at 0.25 ppm for approx 2 weeks now? Is this normal and I jsut need to give it more time for the ammonia to drop to zero? I had thought that the ammonia would be at zero by now.
It is a little odd because once the first stage bacteria are fully established ALL ammonia should be taken care of however the same thing happened to me in my 70g, 0.25ppm ammonia hung around even after nitrites had returned to zero, after a fortnight or so it too returned to zero. So I would just wait.
Now I know Newman (knows GF's) will be able to tell you more when he reads this but I think the lfs was idiotic in suggesting goldfish for cycling and especially 6! Huge waste producers and relatively sensitive to water conditions I believe, I'm surprised they all manage to survive good job.

Feb 27, 2009
I agree with JRB.

Your readings indicate that the tank is overstocked. The cycle is progressing but you are overfeeding the first stage bacteria (those that consume ammonia) with the goldfish waste. Newman IS the most active goldfish expert, and I'm sure he'll give more detailed advice. 6 poop-machines in less than a pond is a lot!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I like how you guys dub me a goldfish expert lol
not very true since ive been through a lot of them dying, but that said, i have kept quite a few.
I totally agree with whats been said above in that youre surely overstocked there, and im surprised your fish havent began to develop fin rot yet...
I'd say cut your numbers down to 3 goldfish, and you should be well stocked for a 55 gallon.
It does raise a few questions though:
1. what type of goldfish are they?
2. will they be the premanent (and therefore the only) fish in the tank?
3. obviously if the answer to the above question is NO, then what will you do with em? (you certainly shouldnt keep them in the tank if you actually want other fish in there.) that does depend on the fish choice...still.

the over all idea of cycling with them is ill advised, and the lfs having suggeted 6 is downright insane, like JRB pointed out.
I find that goldfish can either be very sensitive, or very hardy...sounds odd but ive head them die in 1ppm ammonia or nitrite by the dozen, and i've actually seen them live for a while in 4ppm of ammonia and then recover completely once the tank became cycled. their hardiness thus varies greatly. i want to say it has to do with their species...but since most are inbred anyway, its likely that you will have fragile goldfish if you own any of the fancy varieties.

ok, so reduce the fish load, make sure you gravel vaccuum once the cycle is over, and have a great tank :)
get back to us on the bove questions, and more water readings next time you test the water

Last edited: