Cycle wont start.

Oct 4, 2006
Okay, so my first run at a 72 gallon was very unsuccessful. After two months all I have is a cloudy tank and four fish that died while I was gone for four days around Thanksgiving.

I did a complete water change(thank you python, way easier) and let everything dry out and refilled it. Levels were 0 across the board, started yet another cycle by adding ammonia...however...nothing is developing. The ammonia just won't go away.
Perhaps I should get new bio-wheels? Try using Stress-Zyme again? What if I took the bio-wheel from my established and healthy tank and put it in the new one? Would the bacteria in the old tank die with a new wheel? I'm really at a loss here.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
ok 72 gallons, torn down and set back up from scratch after thanksgiving....

your tank won't be cycled yet, it should take a while if you are starting from scratch. But you should have some nitrites in there by now, biowheel will help, gravel/substrate/decorations from established tank will help as well. Have you read the guide on fishless cycle on the forums?

Oct 4, 2006
Not even a hint of nitrates or nitrates, just tested this afternoon.

I've read the guide, yes.

If I put a new biowheel in my oldtank to put in my new one will the levels be okay in the old?