Cycled or not Cycled?

Flare

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
St Louis
I've been cycling (fishless) a 20G for about 4 weeks now. Last Thursday the nitrites went down to zero so I thought it was almost cycled and stopped adding ammonia. However, the ammonia has not went down and somedays I have .25 nitrites instead of zero. Is this normal? Is the cycling almost over?

Getting impatient, *twirlysmi
cj

http://www.chrystalsander.com/fish.htm

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Your cycling is over when your nitrites go to zero and you start to get nitrates. If you are adding ammonia everyday then I could see how the nitrite and ammonia values could bounce around a little bit, but if you've been monitoring things, then you should know pretty well how high the nitrite level has gone and when it comes back down to zero.

If you dump in ammonia and then take a reading, of course you will read ammonia on the tester.
I would think 4 weeks should do it though.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yeah, generally the ammonia and nitrites will be at 0 if you've not added any ammonia for 24 hours. How long did you wait after the last time you added ammonia? Have you used your ammonia test kit on your tap water to make sure it is giving you accurate readings?

Also, do you have just a TON of nitrate? I've heard that sometimes a really really high level of nitrate will give false nitrite readings sometimes. And if you're still getting ammonia readings, have you used any products like ammolock or Prime? Some products will give you a false positive reading for ammonia.

If you've been fishless cycling correctly for four weeks...and the nitrites dropped to 0 after peaking...I think I'd do a HUGE water change (as close to 100% as you can, and careful NOT to rinse off your filter with chlorinated water...any water you put in the tank needs to be dechlorinated) get your filter going again and check your levels. If you're really worried you could add your ammonia amount...wait 24 hours and see how it goes.

Flare

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
St Louis
Ok, I did almost a complete water change yesterday. I added water treated with AmQuel/NovQuel. After taking levels this morning, ammonia is fine, nitrates ok @ 5, ph ok at 7, but my nitrites are higher than ever, about 4. Why? I do not know what to do at this point.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
umm...I'm confused. I thought you said your nitrites dropped to 0?? Also...did you start adding ammonia again? Do you have any ammonia in your tap water? Amquel will sometimes give you a false ammonia reading...and wondering how you have nitrites if you didn't add any ammonia...so you almost have to have chloramine in your water that breaks down when you add the dechlor and turns into ammonia (I think thats how that works right??) If your nitrites popped clear back up to 4 I'd say either your nitrite test kit is screwy and try again after shaking your nitrite test kit really well...or that you're not finished and need to continue adding ammonia every day and wait for that nitrite to drop to 0.

Flare

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
St Louis
yes, the Nitrites had dropped to 0. I haven't added any ammonia since. I even changed the water. I'm totally baffled. Perhaps I'll look for a different test kit tomorrow. Currently, I am using the ones from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Are there any better test kits? Otherwise, I'll just have to wait it out. Argh.

Thanks,
cj

*crazysmil

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I use the AP ones...seem fine to me. Only thing is that sometimes if you dont shake the solution really well they dont work right. (thus the suggestion to shake it an test again) Did you test your tap water for ammonia? Dechlored tap water for ammonia?

At any rate you need to be "feeding" the tank ammonia...get some in there asap. (not too much...just up to a measurable amt like 3 or 4 ppm)

When I do a fishless cycle I add a small amound of ammonia daily. The ammonia feeds the bacteria that converts the ammonia into nitrites. The second bacteria feeds on the nitrites and converts it into nitrates. The we water change the nitrates out.

It's important to keep feeding the bacteria ammonia as FroggyFox said. If you stop, the bacteria will die off.

Barb

Flare

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
St Louis
I've been adding the ammonia still and it goes down rapidly every day. However, nitrites are still at about 3 or 4. I bought some BioSpira, will that help? If so, how do I use it?

Thanks,
cj

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
yess bio spira should take care of everything. I would do a huge water change on your tank (as close to 100% as possible), then follow the directions on the biospira. Stock the tank fully, add the biospira and keep an eye on the levels.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
good question, I have no idea. The bacteria needs something to consume, so If you put some ammonia in there you might be able to keep it alive for awhile. You could try to continue your fishless cycle using the biospira...but I dont know that I've ever heard of anyone doing that.