cycling 10g for son's classroom

Nov 30, 2005
I have not cycled a small tank in a long time without plants. I volunteered to help with the fish tank in my son's classroom. They have a brand new 10g that the teacher set up and have running right now with no fish or plants. I have some fish I want to get rid of but I'm not sure what would be the best choice for these kids (kindergartners.)

5 glow light tetras OR
3 serpae tetras OR
3 red eye tetras OR
2 beunes aries tetras

I'd like to put whatever in there that can stay through the cycle and remain happy afterwards. Eventually I'll add a few more of the same if needed to make a nice shoal and then maybe one other fish like a ram or dwarf gourami as the main attraction. When I get some baby plants, I'll probably change out the lighting and substrate to make it a planted tank but for now it will remain the way it is.

Suggestions?

Nov 27, 2005
I've never kept tetras so can't say for sure. What I DO know is that livebearers such as mollies, swordtails, guppies and platys are colorful, hardy fish that will be easy to care for especially since there are children involved. Also they get along well with other community fish and will probaly do great with tetras.*BOUNCINGS

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i'd say either the glolites or the serpaes, i'd probably lean more towards the glolites if you were planning on adding another fish to the tank, i'd go witha dwarf gourami.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Any of the first three choices should be fine -- the Buenos Aires will get too big and tend to be a bit spazzy for a 10 gallon. I'd do what I could to seed it well so you're not subjecting the teacher and kids to the cycle -- use filter media from a cycled tank, pop in some gravel from a cycled tank. I'd also go for it with the plants as soon as you are able -- it'll make your job easier and I think they're so much better for the fish.