Cycling A Betta Tank

Sep 3, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I am thinking about getting a small tank, around 5 gallons, for a Betta. Is cycling the water necessary since they can live fine without a filter system? If so, what is the best way to do it, because I do not want to put some starter fish in there that will eventually be in conflict with the Betta.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
well, since it is a 5gal, i would suggest getting a filter. then it will need to cycle to get the bacteria. but u could do just what i did, ge tthe tank and filter and put the betta in it as the cycling fish

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
BACK to helping turnblom,
i personally dont think its cruel to do a fish in cycle. allthough java seems to beleive that its this horrible thing, i do not. so you choose. and good luck! :D

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you know how to do a fishless cycle, it's definitely preferable to do it that way. It's not hard, it's not expensive, and it does give you a better understanding of how your fish are able to live in a tank.

It will also give your fish a longer and healthier life. Ammonia has several effects on the fish's gills and can decrease its oxygen uptake ability. Nitrites destroy the hemoglobin, making the bloodstream less able to carry oxygen.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I'm with the fishless cycle.

And I also want to suggest that you use a filter...a small internal or an air-driven sponge/cartridge type. (The Penn-Plax Clear-Free is a wonderful choice)

This will not only provide good water circulation/waste removal but will also reduce the amount of times you have to change the water. So it benefits not only the fish, but saves you some time and energy as well.