Cycling a tank - learned my lesson - question now?

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
Well after alot of research and work I have sucessfully cycled my 10 Gallon aquarium.

I made my first mistake by trying to start a new tank with two Cory's and 6 neon tetras. Needless to say I lost all the tetras. Now that the tank is cycled, new fish have been added in and all is stable and healthy. I learned my lesson :) Ammonia and Nitrites have been at zero for over two months now.

So now I love my tank so much I want to start a second 20 gallon. Right now it is empty, but I will fill it this weekend and let it sit running with out fish for a week.

My question now is I need to cycle this tank too. I placed a spare filter in the back of my current cycled tank and will use this to help speed up the process as I assume some beneficial bacteria are now on this extra filter. I will also move one of the ornaments and a small handful of rocks over too. Being careful not to take too much out to disturb the 10 gallon.

I need to start with just a couple fish and would like to put a pair of Angel fish in. Will the Angels survive the cycling process of the 20 gallon ok if I watch the ammonia levels and do frequent water changes?

Last edited:

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
Danios huh? 2 or 3?

Yeah I kinda figured the pre-existing bacteria would help it cycle faster. I'll go with the Dianios then. As far as other fish I am not sure yet. Was maybe thinking a blue Gourami, some Cory's for bottom feeding, but beyond that I'm taking it one step at a time. Any suggestions?

Yes it is a taller tank and not long

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
Should I stick with 2 or 3 danios to start? I read that they like to school in groups of 6-8 or more. I now know neon tetras are sensitive fish and that six was probably too many to start a 10 gallon.

Just don't want to loose any more fish :)

Great website by the way!!!

Thanks

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
You can start it with 3 if you want. IF you're not going to keep them in the tank, there isn't any reason to spend the money on 6-8 of them. If you get 3 just to cycle the tank, they'll be fine for that amount of time. Then if you decide to get rid of them you can always see if your LFS will take them back.

slurpor

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Why don't you just do a fishless cycle and get it over with in a fraction of the time? With your "seed" bacteria, you could cycle that tank in a week or two using ammonia. I'm hooked on fishless cycles- now it just seems like a waste of time and possibly money to buy a couple fish you may not even want and then watch them swim around in agony for a month to six weeks. Then if they don't die, you'll have to find a way to dispense with them if they are not the fish you want.

There is always the temptation to add too many fish too early during a "traditional" cycle, and the result is- they die. With a fishless cycle you can build up enough bacteria to add most or all of your fish at once when the cycle is done.

LydiaGreen

Medium Fish
Sep 16, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I too learned my lesson the hard way. Walmart idiot sold us a 10 gallon and said you could add goldfish as soon as it was set up! He sold us several goldfish and a plecostamus. I now have 4 tanks because the surviving goldfish (1 from the original) and the surviving plecostamus just kept growing - that, and I'm now addicted to fish.

But, the advice to be patient and fishless cycle is the safest. I won't put my kids or myself through losing fish again. All 3 of the tanks that followed the first, were cycled WITHOUT fish.

TygGer

Large Fish
Aug 18, 2003
VA
Visit site

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd 2nd what Balloonfish said...Angels need 8-10 gallons each...but I wouldn't put one in anything smaller than a 20G. I also wouldn't ever put two together...its best to have one or three+ so that one doesn't get dominant over the other and constantly pester it.

Also...I second on the fishless cycle. Best simplified...the ONLY way to make sure you dont lose anymore fish...is to cycle without them. Ammonia costs less than 2 bucks, it will only take 2 weeks to cycle since you have a good seeded filter, and no fish loss so you can stock your tank completely immediately without worrying about your ammonia or nitrite levels going up. Check out this thread http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26438