Cycling a tank- without test strips?

Jan 1, 2010
Canada
I've read the stickies and a bunch of other places about cycling with and without fish. I know this is a stupid question because I'm 99.9 percent sure that I know the answer, but I can't cycle a tank without test strips or a way to check nitrate, nitrite and ammonia right?

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
You can start cycling today. You don't need the tests to cycle the tank, only to indicate to you how the process is coming and when it is fully cycled. Go ahead and add a fish to begin the cycle or the correct dosage of pure ammonia (fishless cycle) today and begin your tests next week. By then you should still have very high readings of ammonia and high readings for nitrite. It will generally take at least 3 weeks to complete the process so waiting until next week to actually begin the tests won't hurt anything.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I just saw that you have some tanks already. Add some gravel or some extra filter material from one of your already cycled tanks and you will speed up the process a lot.

This isn't really useful for you now because of such small tanks, but when you get the 29 & 10 gallons going keep an extra h.o.b. filter or an extra cartridge running on those tanks so you'll already have established material for any future tanks ;)