cycling a unheated tank.

cjp

Small Fish
Dec 26, 2005
Can this be done at a temp.of 62 to 64.It is a 75 gal. that I just got and will cycle it with 6 whiteclouds that I have in a unheated tank.I'll have a new emperor 400 filter.I'll seed the tank with driftwood and stones from one of established tanks.I can also use 6 bloodfin tetras that are with my whiteclouds.Never tried this unheated.When done.I'll add my heater and my 3 featherfin catfish,2 clownloaches and rainbow shark to finish it .I new to this site and this is my first post.Any ideas are welcomed.Thank You,Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.cjp.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
What are you going to do with the other tank?If you're just swapping everything to a bigger tank do it all at once,including the existing filter and decor.You may have a mini cycle but it won't be as bad as starting over.
Is the old tank much smaller than this new one?You have to make sure the heater is upto the job.

cjp

Small Fish
Dec 26, 2005
The tank that they are in is a 30 long,as you can see they have out grown it,that is why the bigger tank.I'll have (2) 200watt heaters going in to heat it.I'll add them one at a time,featherfins first,mybe one per week.My clown loaches last. Will have to test the water often on a weekly basis.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
As TLH said, just switch if you're closing out the other tank. The gravel, decor and filters all have the necessary bacteria already in them for the bioload you're moving. You still need to test the water often immediately after the switch, but there's no need to do this slowly unless you intend to maintain the smaller tank as well.

cjp

Small Fish
Dec 26, 2005
I was going to keep the other tank going, all that will be left is a pair of rosey barbs.I going to put a pair of angels in the 30l.Thank you all for the replys.cjp.