cycling, fishless..

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Well I started about a week now fishless cycling. Im using the add and wait method by adding ammonia directly and waiting to see the level drop.
Currently Im at 4ppm of ammonia and I have been at this level I think pretty much all week. I have not added any ammonia and my temp is about 83F. The water is real warm and I have an air stone, too. I dont notice any drops in ammonia, but just want to make sure things are normal. My family is growing increasingly impatient about a real nicely decorated 50 gallon tank that has been empty now for almost a month.

Im pretty sure Im doing things right, I jsut really want to see an ammonia drop to know bacteria is growing.

Jan 16, 2006
Superior, WI
tameem,
You really need to get some gravel (doesn't need to be much) or some used filter media from an established tank. The original bacteria needs to come from somewhere or it's going to be forever before your tank cycles.

Oh, wait I see you already did this in an earlier post. Please don't start a new thread on the same subject, just post a reply to your old one to bring it back to the front.

Too much ammonia will kill some of the bacteria that you need...

Last edited:

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Thanks for replies. Im trying to be patient. You know its amazing because seeding the tank with gravel is the best, most efficient way of speeding up the cycling process. I tried that earlier, I finally convinced a petsmart to give me a handful of their gravel. But maybe the bacteria died, cuz i did not notice a difference. Sometimes you it makes a big difference, other times it does not. Its unfortunately how difficult it is to find a local dealer that is willing to help you out, even some LFS do not.

as far as what kind of fish im getting, I have been stuyding extensiviely on the kind of fish I may buy (I have two great aquarium books that I studied ever BEFORE buying a tank). I have several stocking schemes available that I am consiering for my 50 gallon tank:
a "typical" community tank
5 platies
to fill midwater area, 8 danios (or possibly 6 giant danios)
6 lemon tetras
6 serpae tetras make up thie third school

and lastly, for bottom dwellers, 6 cory cats (the best scavengers out there)

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Im amazed at how quick other people on here have seen ammonia levels drop. Man, I've been monitoring my ammonia for several days now and there is just no change. I thought about adding BIospira, but it was just too expensive. I will continue to wait and wait until ammonia levels start to drop, but so far nothing. I think we have had our tank setup now for a month and still not 100% certain about our cycling....

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
well, I actually started doing it after a week or so not until my temperature and all equipment was working properly. I would check my filter, and temperature (i had a defective water heater the first time). And then I started adding ammonia daily every day a little, 1 tsp and a half. But I guess I was just getting a bit impatient, and wasn;t sure. So I did a massive water change to remove the ammonia and now started back to the add and wait method, add ammonia once and thats it. I just tested the water and its stil between 2 and 4.0. I ususally keep the last sample and compare the test tubes side by side, too, to see if there are any visible changes.

I think what I culd have also done is added one or two goldfish to cycle the tank, that wouidl have kept the tank interesting durin gthe whole time, but of course its not the choice for both that dont believe it the traditional cycling method.

we have a real nice setup and all so we are excited. We got such a great deal on a brand new 50 gallon tank and a cherry stand for both 50% off.

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
I had trouble bringing it up to 5ppm. Im right now at around 4 I think. everytime i added a few drops, and checked, it wasn't changing the ammonia level, plus I was going through testing solution quickly.
elsewhere on another forum on the internet there is two methods: one is a add ammonia daily method, and the other is you add it once, bring it to 5ppm and wait. When levels fall, then you re-add the ammonia. well anyway, Ill keep monitoring and checking levels every other day.

thanks.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
It may just be that you're too timid with the ammonia. If the ammonia you had was pure, a couple of drops would suffice. But, you won't be finding pure ammonia for sale; rest assured that your ammonia was diluted with water. So, you're probably going to need to add more than just a few drops when you replenish it.

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
hmmm..its definitely diluted, although when i open the cap its a very very strong smell@ this s*@*$ is dangerous. anyways, maybe I am being too timid. I took reading today again and its still at 4pm. If I were to add a capful, how long would I have to wait until I test it again so that the ammonia is distributed in the tank?

man, we are all getting so impatient at home, we are eager to get some fish but I know its important that this cycle process completes. maybe ill add a bit more ammonia...

thanks again.
I should also tak epictures of my setup for all you to see..

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
by the way, I just checked. The solution is 10% ammonium hydroxide, I got it from a local hardwood store (Ace). I added two cap fulls, that was way too much, Im getting 8.0 reading now. But I will leave it where its at and monitor.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I read through your posts...are you still using amquel as your water conditioner? If so I would ditch it and get prime or a generic water conditioner. Any of them will break the ammonium bonds and you won't have to worry about the ammonia when your tank is cycled...but if you are using amquel it can give you false readings on your test kits.

What kind of filter do you have running on the tank? Assuming its a power filter do you have anything in it besides filter floss?

Is the temperature still around that 82 mark?

What are your readings now for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Im using amquel to condition my water. I was using a more generic conditioner, but after some readings, amquel detoxifies ammonia in the tap, where other conditioners may not. If chloramines are in the water, some conditioners dechlorinates, hwoever, it releases the bond and does not nuetralie the ammonia that is released.
So I started to use amquel.
Amquel is a superior product, and false readings are commong, but only when you dont use the correct test kit with it. Only salicylate-based test kits should be used with amquel, otherwise you will indeed get false readings.

Temp is at around 83.
im using two power filters, marineland 200. they have the filter floss along with the activated carbon, thats all.
i added powerheard a week ago.
ammonia is still 8ppm, nitrites 0, and nitrates i dont test normally.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sorry in advance for the essay, but I hope it is maybe some helpful info....

You should test nitrates just once to see if there are any present, as that would indicate that your cycle is moving forward too. But it has really been too long for you not to have seen any movement, so I agree that something is wrong, thus all of the questions.

I really think you need to rethink the whole amquel thing. Its not just about the false readings. When the ammonia that you're adding in on purpose gets changed to a different form by the amquel, it could be hindering your attempts at cycling. You do not need to neutralize ammonia in a tank because thats what the nitrogen cycle does. High level, the nitrogen cycle converts ammonia to nitrite and converts nitrite to nitrate and you take nitrates out by doing water changes. When you take that first step away, the bacteria necessary to convert the ammonia to nitrites don't develop.

Also, I wonder if your ammonia is a lot higher than 8. Many test kits only register up to 8 and at any level higher than 8 it still says that it is at 8. When you have a high concentration of ammonia in the tank, those bacteria are also hindered from multiplying. That is why I usually pick a 4 or 6ppm measurement because you can tell on the kit that there is still ammonia in the tank, but not too much. You really only need to get that tank up to a detectible amount and then wait.

Bacteria etc also need oxygen, so running your filters and a powerhead is great, as long as the surface is being broken...so if that powerhead isn't breaking the surface of the water, see if you can angle it to do so.

Have you tested your water temperature with another thermometer to check for accuracy? If the water is too warm, bacteria will not grow...same as if it is too cold. I usually shoot for 80-82 just to be safe.

The reason I asked about if you have anything else in your filters is because same thing with amquel, if you were to have ammolock or nitrite pillows or something in your filters then it can also screw with the cycling process.

Last but not least, yes, there are some good bacteria products and some aren't worth anything. The only ones that I've ever heard of having any kind of actual good effects are biospira (which is refrigerated bacteria and best used on a tank where there are very low ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings) and one called... shoot Stabilize? Stability? I'll have to look it up, but its made for tanks that are currently cycling and already have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings.

If I were you I would do this:

1. Get some generic water conditioner.
2. Turn off your filters/heaters.
3. Do a large water change & do not use amquel.
4. Turn your filters/heaters back on.
5. Wait an hour & then test ammonia level. If it is really low maybe add a cap ful of ammonia. Wait an hour and test again. You only need to get that ammonia up to a detectible level on your test kit, somewhere around the middle of that strip.
6. Leave the tank alone and test in a couple of days. If your ammonia is still the same, then leave it a few more days. Not really a whole lot of use testing nitrites or nitrates if your ammonia hasnt moved.

A big water change is not going to hurt your tank for any progress that it may have made because those bacteria mainly colonize on your filter media and are not free floating in your water. The only way that would happen is if you left your filters running and allowed chlorinated water to come into contact with your sponges, which is why I suggested getting in the habit of turning filters/heaters off while doing water changes.

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Thank you so much for that great helpful information!

Here is an update:

For the first time ever, I noticed that when testing the water this morning that my nitrite is now at .25. Ammonia appears to still be at the same level, unchanged, around 2 or 4ppm. This is great news because we were talking of just starting over and going with a regular cycle with fish.

I stopped using Amquel+ at least two weeks ago and now use Stress Coat as my water conditioner.
To ensure accurate temperature reading, I actually affixed 3 other LCD thermometers (which is over kill) one on the farthest end from the heater and another on the other side of the heater. My temp is currently set to 83, and all thermomters are showing 82 right now.

The powerheard I bought is located just under the surface of the water and the nozzle is pointing at an angle up towards the water surface. I also have one of those bubble wands.

Two things we noticed this past week:
Little squiggly worms swimming around, not many of them at all, but enough to cause disgust for us. I decided to use CopperSafe and now they are all dead. I can actually see them clumped together floating around near the surface.

We also noticed what we thought there were other worms on decor, but rather greyish type particles floating around and settling on the surfaces of the decorations, any level surface basically, plant leaves, rocks, etc. I have no idea what this is, Im lead to believe maybe it's from the floss filter media, since the color is blueish? But I dont know. They just started to appear.
Prior to this, I added 10 lbs (now total of 65lbs) of gravel which I washed well as I normal do before adding it.

I also added Stress Zyme at around the same time, one of those small bottles. We would like to remove the decorations and clean the debris.

Any thoughts, responses??

Thanks.