Cycling my new tank

Derpeder

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2006
Hey I just got my 100 gallon SW tank set up. I am wondering if I should put in a damsel or some sort of fish to help the cycle. Right now it is just 130 pounds of LR.

What is your advice. I want to do things RIGHT.

Thanks

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if you wanna do things right than dont put any live stock in until the tank fully cycles... 130lbs of lr will cycle the tank nicley ...just be patient

Derpeder

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2006
Cool. Thats what I have been reading...but I've only done fresh water tanks before so I gotta learn the ropes of the SW world!!!!

I will be patient. I know I want to do things right and establish a good system.

Thanks Man.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
You may not even need to cycle. The point of cycling a la freshwater is to generate cultures of bacteria in your filter media. Well , your filter media is live rock, and it comes with all the bacteria already. As long as the rock is 'cured', meaning what's going to die has largely died, and the bacteria in situ are managing to keep up with any ammonia production, you are effectively cycled.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
As TheFool says, you really might not experience any "cycle"; what you do need to do is keep an eye on your Ammonia and Nitrite levels for a few days to make sure. I am not saying you should run out and buy a fish right away, as letting a tank sit for a couple months is generally the best plan, but you might not see massive die off.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
you'll still need to cycle though it wont take nearly as long

To be argumentative, can you explain why, what you mean. If you have a tank full of cured live rock what do you think 'cycling' is going to do?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok what i mean is i have yet to see "fully cured rock" that is actually "fully" cured ;) especially if it was purchased online*thumbsups

Last edited: