cycling new aquarium without fish

Olga

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2005
Hi everyone,

I have a 10 gallon settled up fish tank and I am trying to cycle it. I have read that it can be done without fish, using special products with bacteria and by "feeding"(adding some fish food) into the aquarium. According to that information, the level of ammonia should rise, than drop with increased level of nitrates. I have been doing this procedure for a week, but nothing happened: the level of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are zero.
I was wondering what I do wrong, how to cycle my aquarium without fish, and how could I know when it is safe to add fish into the aquarium.

Dragonett

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2003
Norwalk, CT
Visit site
I think you have to introduce the ammonia itself into the tank. I think you can buy pure ammonia in some stores, although I am not too keen on fishless cycling. I've never done it myself before. You have to have something to feed to the bactera otherwise it just won't flourish. Not too sure if putting fishfood in the tank is enough.

I am certain the members here will help you, though. Welcome to the forums. Good luck.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I've heard of people trying to use shrimp (ones like you'd buy to eat) or fish food, but honestly I figure why bother. Fishless cycling with ammonia is the way to go :) All of my tanks except the first one have been fishless cycled and it just gets easier every time because of the established tanks i have to speed things up with the new tanks. Not to mention I still use that same bottle of ammonia that is still over half full that I bought for less than $2 :)

Here check out this thread it should answer all your questions about it and if not...well come post some more. http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13406

These are also a good read if you want some more info on new tanks... http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19357

Welcome to mft :)