Cycling question

jewel

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Ontario
Ok, can someone clarify for me how you can tell if your tank is cycled? From what understand it is when your levels are at 0??? :confused:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
When your ammonia and nitrite levels peak (go up really high) and then go back down to 0ppm. Your water goes through a cycle all the time using bacteria to convert ammonia (waste from your fish) to nitrite and then from nitrite to nitrate and then you take nitrate out of your tank through water changes. The beginning cycle happens because the bacteria dont exist to make that cycle move smoothly every day.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You can cycle with plants...plants help the cycle along really well, sometimes bringing along bacteria with them, as well as if they're growing well then they'll use up some ammonia and nitrite and nitrate! You have to be careful if you're doing a fishless cycle, some plants are sensitive to really high levels of ammonia.

jewel

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Ontario
To further my question......

So if you have a tank with fish that produce ALOT of waste and requires a water change like every 2 days just to keep the colour of the test a pale green rather than emerald green, you won't be able to cycle it properly????

I'm sure I know what your thinking ( *SUNSMILE* get a bigger tank, or get rid of some fish *twirlysmi ). I plan on getting a 100 gal or better but I have to wait until I can find a really good deal on one first.......

My messy fish are Oscars and a Brown Bullhead Catfish, they aren't cramped yet, but I'm waiting for it soon I'm sure *SICK*

Thanks for your help

Jewel

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Well how big of a tank do you have, what fish are in it and how long has it been set up?

Once a tank cycles (has enough of that bacteria in it) then you dont have to worry about ammonia etc, its going to cycle whether you like it or not :) WHILE its cycling and you have measurable ammonia and nitrite, yeah its a good idea to do 10% water changes every other day (or more if you feel like it) to give them some fresh water and help keep them from getting hurt by the high levels of ammonia/nitrite. Water changes slow things down...but its better to draw out the cycle longer than to kill your fish right?

jewel

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Ontario
:rolleyes: I have 2 29 gallons, one has 3 tiger oscars, 2 kenyi cichlids, 2 pictus catfish, a brown bullhead, and 1 pleco. It has been running for almost 7 mos now, the last 2 times I checked the ammonia it was a pale green without the water change (surprising me alot, cause it's usually dark green). I did a small water change before we went away this weekend and I checked it last night and it was really dark so I did atleast a 50% change. (I know I will need a bigger tank, but I mentioned that above already). I've had the same fish together for at least 5mos, and if I try to add a fish(evan a big one) they try to kill it.

My other has an albino channel cat, 1 rainbow shark, 1 bala shark, 1 columbian catfish, 1 baby bullhead catfish, 1 banjo catfish, and a pleco. I do wish I had researched these fish before I bought them, a couple of them get pretty large I guess *thumbsdow . That tank has been up for 2 months now and has gone through a couple of bacteria blooms I guess they call it, just like the first tank did, but the ammonia and nitrite are usually around 0, and I do a small water change once a week at least. *BOUNCINGS

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'm not "us all" everyone can chime in...but um, if you're fishless cycling no worries on the toxicity!! :D If you're cycling fish-in, I really think the ammonia portion of the cycle isn't the part you should worry about. The stress of high ammonia, plus pH fluxuation I think would just be too much. Now if there was some strong facts about nitrites being less harmful at lower pH then it might be something to think about. BUT then again....you could avoid the whole issue by fishless cycling :D heh

jewel

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Ontario
So Froggy, by my last post do you think it is possible to get a proper cycle going, and if not will my fish be ok with a big water change every couple of days. I do know (or like to think), that water changes don't seem to bother their mental state like it did when they were little. I have a net made out of a stocking to catch all the floaties left over and they casually swim around avoiding me, and the bullhead chases it in play. They used to sulk for a long time before.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
jewel, I cycled my very first tank with 4 zebra danios, 1 upside-down catfish and 1 angry betta. :s and I did multiple water changes every day to keep the ammonia and nitrites down. Just try not to disrupt everything in the tank when you do them and you should be fine. :)

jewel said:
I'm sure I know what your thinking ( *SUNSMILE* get a bigger tank, or get rid of some fish *twirlysmi ). I plan on getting a 100 gal or better but I have to wait until I can find a really good deal on one first.......Jewel
I found two websites with really good prices on tanks. I bought my 65G Acrylic Tank for $110.00 plus $35.00 shipping from http://www.GlassCages.com and their glass tanks were cheaper. They had a 55G Glass for $65.00 plus shipping. Acrylic costs more but it's much lighter for shipping.

Another site that I saw advertised in Aquarium Fish Magazine is http://www.AquaTraders.com and they had 3 different glass tanks advertised for 99 cents a gallon including a 100G and 168G. I did not check their shipping prices since I had already purchased my tank before I found them.

As far as cycling with fish, I've done 25% PWC's every four hours to keep the ammonia/nitrites at safe levels. Just don't vacuum the gravel as much (I only vacuum in the area where they eat) and don't feed too much. Don't mess with your filters at ALL during the cycling process. If you just remove the water with the ammonia/nitrites, it will lower the levels while not disrupting the growing bacteria colonies.

I read that you've had your tanks for 7 months so I'm curious why they are still cycling. I know a lot of beginners fall into the "change the filter trap" that the manufacturers of filters sell people on. I haven't changed my filter pads or sponges in nearly a year and not planning to any time soon. I only swoosh them around in removed tank water to get the big stuff off of them while leaving the good bacteria colonies growing.

I also built my own stand for the 65G for only $20.00 worth of 2x4's. I still need to "finish" it with some natural wood paneling but the frame came out great. You can see my tank and stand in my picture link in my sig.

Last edited:

jewel

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Ontario
Well thanks alot for the info, it'll be great if they will ship to Canada because that is a really good deal for a tank. Nice job on your stand there Lenny..... I tested my Oscars ammonia again this morning, it's been almost 2 days since the last big water change and it's almost yellow. yaaay..... I'm so happy :)

Do you all get FEDEX Ground up there? That's who http://www.GlassCages.com used to ship my tank.

That's a funny story... when I saw the FEDEX guy carrying this huge box in a bear hug up a flight of stairs (over four feet long and 18" wide), I was thinking... this is one strong FEDEX dude. Then when he set the box down in my living room, it was almost like it was empty. I was worried I got ripped off and was sent an empty box. LOL I had to get my bathroom scale and weighed it and it was only 40 pounds for this giant box. I can't believe how much lighter an acrylic tank is versus glass.

From all I've read and researched, Acrylic is harder to break but easier to scratch. It's more flexible so it won't just shatter like glass and the scratches can be "polished" away... even inside the tank under water. They sell a kit for polishing any scratches in the acrylic and it's underwater and fish safe. This is something that you cannot do to glass in the less likely but still possible occurence. Also, since it's more of a plastic product, the seams are not siliconed. They use clear Acrylic Epoxy so the seams become stronger than the actual acrylic... which means far less likely to spring a leak. It's also "clearer" than most aquarium glass which has the greenish tint to it. Acrylic is crystal clear. I understand there is a "low-iron" glass that is more clear than regular glass but it's also more expensive than acrylic. I live in a second floor condo so the extra 50 pounds of weight was a decision in my buying acrylic versus glass.