Cycling Question

Apr 16, 2007
I am cycling a 10 gallon tank, I got a used filter from a coworker of mine, and I was wondering how long I need to get it in the tank for?

He gave it to me right from his tank and I brought it home and through it in my tank right away, making sure that it was still wet.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
In order for it to cycle your tank, the bacteria on the filter need a food source... like some fish waste.

How long has it been in your tank, and do you have fish? The answers to these questions will help us answer your original one.

In the meantime, go up to the top of the freshwater beginner forum and read the stickies regarding getting started. They're very educational, and will help you get down to whatever questions you really need to ask us... things you don't get after reading up on cycling your tank. Also, you won't have to wait for an answer to a question if you find the info there.

Sounds like you're on the right track, and may have read up on cycling before now. If so, just provide us the details and we can answer your question a bit more intelligently. :)

Apr 16, 2007
Sorry about the vague question.

I have had 3 Rasbora's in the tank along with the media since last Saturday. I don't have a test kit yet, because I went to 4 LFS's yesterday and they were all sold out. I am getting one today.

Just to be safe I have been doing a 25% wc daily, and twice on Sunday, just because one of the fish was acting a little weird so I did another one. I make sure to de-chloanate the tap water before adding it to the tank, and also try to match the temp of the tank water.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Sounds good. Take a water sample with you so that if they're sold out at least they can test the water for you. :)

As long as the levels aren't very high, it's probably helpful to the cycle not to do the wc yet. If there isn't much of a supply of ammonia in the water it might take a bit longer for the cycle to complete, but at any rate it will do so, sooner or later, of course. I think you've been doing the best you could without water testing.