Cycling with fish

At the moment my 70 litre tank has only been running two weeks, with "cycle" being added since the start. I've had fish in the tank for a week, currently 3 guppies and one snowball pleco. Ammonia and nitrate levels have never gone above 0, but nitrite levels are slowly climbing, currently at about 0.25. pH is very slightly alkaline, at about 7.5 - 8.

There is some uneaten food and fish waste on the bottom of the tank but I never seem to be able to get much of it up when I siphon out water, also I have nowhere to store water to put into the tank that will keep it at the aquarium temperature, so whenever I do change water I can only take small amounts so as not to drop the temperature of the aquarium too much and as a result I never manage to take out the 25% which is advised, I don't even think I reach 10%.

Can anyone offer any advice?

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
You need to get yourself a hose that will reach your sink!!! Thats what I use, no fancy schmancy here. You can get an adapter at a home depot or other store like it that will fit right on your faucet. That way you can drain your tank as much as you want, connect the hose to the faucet then set your hot and cold water going back into the tank to the temp you WANT it. I do that and it works very well so that the water going back into the tank is the same temp as what you took out....no flucuations that way.

Oh, and from what other people have said about cycle...it DOESNT WORK and is a WASTE of money!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I would go to a store and get a cheap bucket or two for your water changes. When you syphon the water put the syphon into the gravel. If you stir things up a bit that is not a bad thing. But I would definately get all ofthe food and waste out of the tank. Also I would reduce the amount of food that you are feeding. I would only once a day and only what your fish will eat. I only drop a wafer down for my Plecos once every day or two. This helps to reduce my water problems. The more food and/or waste that you have in you tank the higher your amonia will be. I would also get Biozyme or one of those products (cant remember the name of the other) to boost you cycling. And lastly I wouldnt add anymore fish until you cycle is over. You need to monitor you tank closely cause Plecos are sensitive to water conditions. Good Luck! *thumbsups

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
IMO that cycle product is a total waste. I used it when I set up my first tank and it didn't do anything to help the cycle along.
I haven't heard a lot of others comment on this product, but it seemed to work really well for me:

I would look into something to make your water changes easier for you as they are very important. The Python is the best product ever invented, IMO. It's a little more expensive then just buying a hose and adapter, but was worth it to me.

TLM4x4 said:
a hose named python lol I dont personally have experience with them but I guess you can drain your tank, vaccum the gravel and refill your tank all at the same time?
Yes, the python can be used to drain/clean your tank and gravel. Then switch the bottom part of the connector to your faucet and it allows you to fill the tank through the same hose. Costs like $25, BUT WELL WORTH THE MONEY FOR THE TIME SAVED.