cycling with ocean water.

Aug 3, 2006
i looked threw a lot of forums before asking this question, but could not find anything, so please don't be mad if someone has already asked it. but i do have a few questions while i am here.
1. If i use live sand and ocean water (bought from the LFS) how long will it take to cycle my tank?
2. IF i want a reef tank can I add that later? like after i have already cycled and added just some other fish?
3. Also do I need sand for a reef tank or coral?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
1.Pretty fast, depending on the quality of the live sand. There are virtually no beneficial bacteria in ocean water, especially if it's been UV'ed or whatever. Of course, most live sand is not very live at all, so live rock is a far better source.
2. I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I suspect the answer is yes, but don't buy anyfish that will eat corals et al in that case.
3. No. Peurely optional depending on how you intend to filter the tank.

I'm going to give you a big tip - I tihnk you think a reef or marine tank works like a freshwater tank. Most people don't do it that way as it doesn't not usually work out so well. I would give Mike Palettas new marin aquarium book a read before you spend any money, else you can spend multiple hundreds of dollars and end up nowhere

Aug 3, 2006
wayne said:
1.Pretty fast, depending on the quality of the live sand. There are virtually no beneficial bacteria in ocean water, especially if it's been UV'ed or whatever. Of course, most live sand is not very live at all, so live rock is a far better source.
2. I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I suspect the answer is yes, but don't buy anyfish that will eat corals et al in that case.
3. No. Peurely optional depending on how you intend to filter the tank.

I'm going to give you a big tip - I tihnk you think a reef or marine tank works like a freshwater tank. Most people don't do it that way as it doesn't not usually work out so well. I would give Mike Palettas new marin aquarium book a read before you spend any money, else you can spend multiple hundreds of dollars and end up nowhere
Thanks for the tip, So on the live rock If I get that my tank would be cycled how fast, like a week? or 2? and I am going to get that book is it available at petco?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I would look online for the book, or a local barnes and noble I Dont think petco would have on avilable (atleast my local ones dont)

A tank could cycle anywhere within that range depending on tank size and amount of dieoff on the rock

and bump to what wayne said on researching prior to purchasing~ avoid the mistakes early by research and you will be very happy later