Cycling ( yes, here we go again....)

Jan 5, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Ok. I have some fish now. I have 4 cichlids in my tank. Obviously I am doing the fish cycle. I found the stick on fishless cycling but not for cycling with fish. Before I added the fish my tank temp in my 75 gallon is 78 degrees. Tested the water and of course it was fine. Now that my fish are in, They have been in for 2 days now, where do I go from here. I tried to avoid this message by reading but Im a a little confused as to what exactly my first step is into making sure that my levels are starting to work or however you want to say it. Also....out of the two cichlids that I have, 2 of them are Red Devils...from what I read, I don't think I'm going to like them! They seem like they will be mean. I'm not sure what the other 2 were. I know they are cichilds, just not sure what kind. They are a yellow color whereas the red devils are an orange color. If I keep thise fish, what in the world can I put with them?? Cycling first please! lol I don't want to be a pain, but again, as I've said previously, I don't wanna mess this up. Thanks for the help!*GOLDFISH*

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
First, you need to find out what the other cichlids are and do as much research as you can about both species. ;) If they're not going to work for you, better to know that now and remedy the situation. What do you hope to get out of your tank? What do you see for it and the fish in it?

As for cycling, you need to start testing immediately for ammonia and nitrites -- keep a graph. Ammonia will rise first, then nitrite as ammonia starts to fall, when nitrite starts to fall, you'll see nitrates start to show up. When both nitrite and ammonia are stable at 0 and you have nitrates, your tank is cycled. If you can, run out and get Stability by Seachem (don't get anything else unless it's Biospira) follow the directions on the bottle. Ammonia is toxic in very low levels, nitrite is still toxic but not as much as ammonia. As the ammonia rises, you'll want to perform water changes to keep your fish healthy. This will extend the duration of the cycle but your fish aren't likely to survive a full blown cycle without help. Base the water change schedule as much on the fish as the readings and feed lightly.

Also, be sure ALL you're using in your water is a dechlorinator (Prime, Amquel+...) and, if you choose to use it, Stability. No pH stabilizers, neutralizers, remedies....

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
You'll need to keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrites. They'll be a point at which they spike (not nessessarily at the same time) and then die down. When they begin to lower in levels, you'll know you're on the back side of the cycle. When your nitrites and ammonia are at zero, you should be done with the cycle :)

Keep a close eye on your fish too, since in my experience, the spike is the point that usually kills them.

Jan 5, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
When am I supposed to do a water change? And for a 75 gallon, how much?

I truly do appreciate all the help!!

As for what I want out of my tank, it is purly for enjoyment. I have always loved fish and have had a 20g for years and was so happily given this 75g! Even though, just for enjoyment, I do understand the responsibilities that comes along with it (kinda like taking care of my cat!) and I want to make sure I am going about this the right way. I'm getting ready to do my test on the water...If I can read it right I will post it.

Thanks again!

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I would aim to keep Ammonia below 2-3ppm and Nitrite below 5ppm.Any higher and it would be wise to do water changes immediately.Ideally you'll keep the levels below these anyway.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
What I mean by what you want from your tank is -- do you want a few larger fish that might be a bit more aggressive? Or would you rather a few large schools of fish? Tranquil? Busy? Interactive fish? Curiosities?

Red Devils/Midas cichlids can be kept with other Central American species but probably will limit your options as far as schooling species. If you're concerned about these fish, better to know now than have to find another solution further down the line. I've never kept them but maybe you can find some keepers in the cichlid section.

For water changes, change no less than 25% at a time, being sure to vacuum also. It depends in some part with why you're changing water. if the fish are stressed, I would change more. If to maintain the correct levels while cycling, I may change only 1/4 - 1/3 of the tank.

Jan 5, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
At the moment, both my nitrates and ammonia levels are at 0ppm.

Sorry about that Seleya...I just want some fish to watch and grow and keep em healthy. I chose to do the cichlids because when they mature they have beautiful colors and there are quite a variety of them. I have been reading on them and from what I see they are easy to care for some species are more aggressive than others. I'm not really concerned with schools of fish. I like the way these look and they seem to have their own Personalities already!
This may seem like another stupid question, but what are the proper times to feed?? Perhaps that is something I should look up! I've only dealt with my goldfish and my beta, they are easy. And with cycling when should I expect for the nitrate and ammonia levels to start doing what they should?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If they're what you want, then go for it. You said you were worried about the temperaments which is the only reason I suggested you think otherwise. We each have our own expectations about what we want from our tanks -- lush plantings, schools, individuals.... There are so many options, it's a matter of taste. There are quite a few Central American cichlids you can choose from to eventually add to your tank and most cichlids are pretty interactive which can be cool. You have a good size tank to really play with. :)

The ammonia should start to go up in a couple of days, much of it depends on stocking levels and maintenance as to when the cycle goes through each stage.