cycling

Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
i have a new tank i have a little live rock and have been adding frozen brine shrimp to the sand, to help the cycle process, i tested the water and the pramaters are all good, ph 8.2,ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate around 0-10ppm. does this mean the tanks has cycled, its only been a week? could i at a fish? im not in a hurry, so i can waite. but is is boring to look at nothing. i guess the big Q is how does one know when is done cycled. thanx

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
for all intents and purposes your cycle is done...remember though, whenever you add more LR there will be a mini-cycle so you may have to add it very slowly if you now add inverts, fish, etc or else the ammonia spike will kill them

KimandRob

Large Fish
Aug 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
It all depends on whether you want a reef tank or a fish only tank. If you want to make a reef tank, you have to get your live rock and cycle that a few weeks before getting fish. If your going with fish only then you should be safe to get a fish but start out with a damsel or chromis and let it cycle another week and test again.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think your cycle is done - when you add live rock you introduce a full suite of filter bacteria ready to go. Assuming no dieoff , it's an instant cycle.
The only problem, which KimandRob infer, is that there usually is some dieoff, especially if you get rock by mail, or uncured by the case.
I'd likely give it another week, but then I'd consider a small tough fish (not a damsel) - how big is this tank, and what do you plan to end up with?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I see your other post now. Try some tank bred clowns (NOT WILD) as they're pretty tough.
How do you like the T5's?

Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
i really like the t-5's the amount of light for the price is great i pay $23 for a 48" bulb, i want it to be a reef tank but i was hoping to add rock a little at a time. i want this is be a hobby not an expence. (if that makes sence). i want a variety of fish, maybe a lion but i hear they need a min of 55gal tank and mine is only a 50gal. plus i dont want it to take up all my fish room. well i tested my ammoina agin and it spiked to about 1.0ppm i added 4 brine shrimp cubes to the water so thats why im sure, so it should go back down soon. i think i will add a clown next it will make my son happy. (nemo and all). then i dont know i want a fluma canaster filter. so i think i will get one of those, in some book i read a protein skimmer is a must, and some books say waterchanges will do the same thing. all i have now is a hang on filter, i know i need a canster filter or should i just buy a protien skimmer. there about the same price. what should i do?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If your ammonia is spiking to one then you know you don't have enough bacteria yet to deal with that volume of waste. You didn't put in much rock did you? I think you need to wait till all the ammonia and nitrite is gone, then repeat the process and see if it reoccurs. Then you'll know your tank is cycled enough to handle fish. The live rock will be useful as a source of life for the tank, so you don't just have to wait for it to 'turn up'. Personally I'd take the money hit and get at least a lot , if not all of the rock in in one go, rather than mucking around adding a few pounds here, a few pounds there, but I appreciate your concern.
I wouldn't go with a cannister, except they can be a useful place to put phosphate remover if you need it, and if you can get a big one and attach the return to a spray bar it can be a good way of getting some 'random flow' water movement. But for actually filtering, I'd avoid them. For 50 gals I'd say get a skimmer. If you were running a 20 for example you can get away with weekly, or biweekly 10% water changes, but for a 50 that is going to start to hurt, and unlike freshwater, it's risky to start missing one here, one there.
For a 50, give a lionfish a miss - just to big. Too big for a 55 really.
How hot do the T5's get, compared to an NO T8 fluorescent do you think?

Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
ok i will get a skimmer but im going to get rock first tommrow. and no lion. and no cannister. i have 2 of the t-5's and i just mounted them into on of those long skinny black plastic light units that are made for 1 big bulb. i just guted it and mounted the 2 t-5's in that and it dont get to hot.. so im happy with it. (for now). how soon do you guys think i shold get a skimmer, i try to get a little bit each pay day. and i dont really know whats more important to get first. but i will keep you all posted.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How deep and how fine is the sand? I am never sure what people mean by crush coral. If you're seeing people with 4 inches plus of fine sand, they're running a deep sand bed. These can help reduce nitrate in your system as deep in the sandbed anaerobic bacteria can reduce nitrate to nitrogen gas.
Keep it less than inch, or 4 inches plus. Nothing in between