cycling

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
i finished setting up my 20g SW tank last Sunday and i thought it'd seem a little bit different but it looks the same. how long do you think it'd take before i see it start to cycle? i used some cycle booster stuff but i wasn't sure.
Thanks,
Nick

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
4 to 8 weeks for a full cycle.

You have to add an ammonia source to start the cycle. Try adding fish food or PURE ammonia from the store. Once you get the ammonia levels up to .50 let them sit until they go back down to 0. You will start to see the nitrIte levels rise. Once they start to go down and you have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and a bit of nitrate, your cycle has finished.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You would need an ammonia source unless you have put live rock into your tank. If you put fully cured live rock you will barely see a cycle but bear with it and don't add anything untill everything comes out zero. Most live rock will start the cycle, but it will only build bacteria enough to take care of what is in there......remember go slowly and only add animals fish etc a little at a time to ensure you don't get a spike as the bacteria need time to adjust to the added bioload.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Well... it is no longer the commonly accepted practice... that's pretty much a fact.

So, at the very least the statement that is it "outdated" is a fact, rather than an opinion.

Additionally, by your own admission, it is cruel since the fish will likely die. So... in a hobby where the idea is to keep fish alive, it would, at least on the surface, appear "stupid" to put fish in a situation where they will likely die...

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
there is no point in arguing the merit of this practice, I am not trying to be mean, but when you give someone incorrect advice who is just getting into the hobby it is detrimental to their experience and is why practices like cycling with fish continue when there is absolutely no need. As to it being cheaper than buying live rock this is true, but even cheaper than buying a fish is buying a large cocktail shrimp and throwing it in the tank, it will have the same effect. And while the fish may not die, it is none the less a stressful and unpleasant experience, which is what we try to avoid in this hobby.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
A person can also add pure ammonia, though I am not sure the amount to add. It is pretty cheap and doesn't smell nearly as bad as the cocktail shrimp method. I did the shrimp, put it in a nylon stocking and left it in the tank for about 3 days.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
That is one of the problems with books in a hobby that changes so quickly, while many of the big picture concepts are still good, alot of the specifics become outdated as soon as the book is published.

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
hm thx ya i knew it'd take longer then a week but i just thought something would of changed every time i checked my stuff it was the same and was right for SW but i got some LR and a few hermit craps i would like my cycle to finsh before my birthday in Nov so i could get some fish or something well i guess thats it
Thank you so much for all your help XD

if you buy established LR it comes with hitchhikers and an established bacteria colony. if you do that, you could add a tine bit of ammonia, or maybe a couple hermits to add to the bacteria #s, but it is mostly cycled when you get it. when i got my fully establidhed rock, i had no ammonia, or nitrite spikes, and i already had nitrate. i think i had nitrates because i also used sand from an established tank. when is your B-Day?

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
hmm my tank went fine added live rock and about 2 weeks later some cleaning crew and id say 2 more weeks later 1 fish... then some more time later anouther fish and i have yet to have a problem i even bought one fish at petco

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
joe not to be mean or anything but your probably one of the last people i would take advice to seeing how many fish you have lost in such a short period of time.. i know u say some of them weren't your fault but you probably should have read up some more on the stuff you put in your tank before they started eating your fish.. cycling with fish is just mean as stated before there are tons of ways to do it with out fish!