Daily Water changes

Oct 18, 2008
Atlanta, Ga
I swear I am reading post and searching before I ask these questions.

While going through this fish in cycle and doing daily water changes to get my ammonia levels down, do I do full gravel vacs daily? I'm asking because I think I'm confusing myself on this bacteria stuff. I want it to grow but I'm thinking if you are always changing the water this may not happen. Am I way off base here? :confused:

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
You can change the water, but whatever you do, do not mess with the gravel or the filter. Just siphon out some water, and replace with fresh, dechlorinated water.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
are you doing a fishless cycle? If your doing a fishless my personal opinion is not to do any water changes but i am not an expert on fishless cycles. I would only clean 25% of the gravel at a time. But others here will probably have different opinions..mine I let the cycle run through completely then did a major water change at the end before adding fish.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The bacteria are mostly on the hard surfaces in the tank (filter sponge, gravel, decorations,etc.) so changing water doesn't significantly remove bacteria. However, it would be better not to vacuum the gravel while you're cycling, as it can disturb the bacteria.