Damn Powerhead

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well as you all know I have been batteling cyano with no avail, so recently I took out my aquaclear 402 powerhead (http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=27209&category_id=3863&pcid1=2181) from my freshwater tank and put it in the 20L (this was about a week ago).

Even with the addition of the new powerhead the cyano is still a problem so I was hoping after a big water chnage tonight it would help. So after dinner I was prepared to start the chnage but decided to go get some ice cream with my sister before hand. So I go the icecream and came home and looked into my tank.....

I looked at the 402 and there was my coral beauty stuck face first into the intake..... Well i unplugged it asap in hope thta it had just happned but to no avail.

So now I again have no fish... and am really pissed off. Is this powerhead to big for this tank should I take it out or was it just a accident? I cant velieve this happned. Sorry buddy

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Damn, OCC, I'm sorry. :( I hate that that happened for you, after what you've been through with your clowns.

I'd definitely take that powerhead out after that experience. Accidents happen, but I wouldn't risk it again in the future.

I'll PM you an article my local reef club president wrote on cyano. It's mainly about water flow, but hopefully some facet of it will help... :|

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
this is uncool. I had a 402 incident too..the problem with the 402 is they are supposed to be monted with the pre-filter crap. The intake of smaller aquaclear are cone shaped so it can't be a problem...
but these 402 are flat and have huge suction power.
You can change the flow on 402..one of my 2 is half power and no incident, even tough my firefish and shrimps are really close. The other 402 is monted with the big, ugly pre-filter ( without media )

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Yea as soon as I came home I thought to myself why the hell the 402 didnt have the cone on them like my two 20's do. I have two 20s and have had no problem what so ever with them, why the 402 doesnt have one too is beyond me (or atleast a attachment for one)

I didnt think about adjusting the flow, so Ill do that tommorow or whenever (doesnt really matter now since theres no fish).

Thanks for the reply guys, I just wish I could have caught him in time, he was doing so well and was really healthy and to end it like that is just a waste...

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I am very cynical of this - I have a 402 in my 20 long QT tank,and have never had a living fish stuck to the intake. The flow is not that strong unless it rubs against it. I think that fish was already on the way out.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've never seen it. Really. I've seen a fish chopped in half when it swum into a turned off powerhead that went back on .....

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Idk, Im pretty sure he was as healthy as could be. His appetitie was ferociouse, was constantly swimming, and was very interactive with my cleaners. If he was on the way out I couldnt have seen it comming.

I think it may be food related because I didnt feed them the day before (saturday) to give the tank a break and hadnt feed them yet on Sunday because I was planning on clenaing the tank (I was going to feed them right before the cleaning) so he may have gotten curiouse and went face first (he was face first stuck in the powerhead)... thats just a random conclusion though so I cant be sure.

Im gonna leave the tank empty for a little and just let it run... with the holidays cash is tight with gifts for family..

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Seios are nice. Never, never run them on a wavemaker. Because they have a big exit any fish can swim into, and will, and a big propellor in there, the chances of killing your fish when they restart are very high

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i have one of the power heads with the intake that has only small slits in it. wanna get a mantis? i feel kind of lonely knowing im the only one on here that has a mantis.