Damselfish question

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
I just setup a new 29 gal saltwater tank, and put a blue damselfish and 2 other chromises in the tank. (I can't remember what type of chromis, they are black with yellow fins, and get white bars when stressed) Does anyone know what type of chromis that is? Also should I turn off the light at night, because they all seemed to be stressed in the morning. Although it is neat the the blue damsel changes completely black/grey, and later when the lights are on, after a few minutes it changes back to blue in a split second. Thanks.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes you should turn off the light at night, not doing so will cause untold problems including stress and eventually blindness

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
How come they get so stressed and confused when the light goes out? They will probably get used to it. Do you know what the other chromis fish are I have?

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
You probably have gold chromis or yellow chromis. Several different fish fit the discription you gave, and their common trade names frequently get mixed up. You may even have a black fin gold chromis *shrug*.

Fish get stressed from over-lighting the same way humans do. Fish need sleep, and the constant presence of light distrubs their sleep cycle just the same as people working overnight shifts find it difficult to sleep during the day time. Light triggers hormone production of the pineal gland in the brain, and this regulates things such as body temperature, migration urge, and sexual urges. The presence or absence of light can also create confusing stimulation in the brain as far as spatial orientantion and directional sense go.

While it is possible to acclimate to over or under light stimulation, it takes awhile and the process causes stress. The chronic stress can lower immune response and make an individual more subceptible to disease. It also has psychological repercussions.

A scientist (don't remember the name) did an experiment where he lived in a cave with no access to natural light or light cycles what so ever. He discovered that the human clock is actually a 25-30hr day, and when given no environmental cues, human behavior falls into that pattern of the longer day. It is sunrise, the actual presense of light on our eyelids being recieved by the brain that re-sets the pineal gland each morning, waking us up. The invention of artificial lighting has wreak havoc on the human system because each time we expose ourselves to light after being in a period of darkness (ie turning on a light when the sun went down) the pineal gland gets stimulated, thus leading to insommnia. Sitting in front of a computer screen at night in a dark room is essentially telling our bodies it is day time and we should be awake while our bodies really need to shut down and "regroup" with rest.

Fish have it the same way. They sleep. They need it to be dark in order to fall asleep. Light is bad, light means they are exposed to predation and must be on guard and wary, or else be eaten. You ever feel a sense of free floating anxiety? That's what fish experience when they cannot sleep or find safety. This can kill them.
~~Colesea

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Ok, they are doing better now. The damselfish are mostly black, the only part of it that is yellow is the part of the fin that pushes the water when they swim. I looked up the names you suggested and none of them looked the same, so who knows..

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Nope, neither of them either, almost all black with yellow pretty much just inbetween there tail in the back. They are some sort of chromis but I can't remember what.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Well I'm stumped now.....never seen a black chromis shaped damsel all black with yellow edging.....:confused:

Sounds interesting!!!
What can you tell me about it? Did the store say anything about temperment, size, etc....???

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
I will take a foto of it, I have 2 of them plus a blue damselfish. They arene't aggressive really, but very active, and occosianally chase each other. They eat flake food, I believe the very largest they get is 4 inches. All I can remember is it is a type of chromis, but I guess the store could be wrong.

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Here's a pic, also there is a bit of white substance on the glass as you can see in the pic. To get it off I just can move my hand over it, it's like dust. What is it?
<br>
<br>

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Yeh, they are pretty active, usually chasing eachother around. Too bad I don't know what they are. The blue damselfish build holes, and they all sleep in one at night.