Danios attacking neons?

Apr 10, 2005
Vancouver Island BC Canada
Are Danios and neons okay to go together? The danios seem to be very agressive and I've seen them nipping at the neons.

There are 3 zebra danios and 2 long finned ones.

There was 12 neons, but I'm down to 3 in a week! The water perameters are great, there is not enough coverage for the fish (plants etc...) so I will be getting more today.... I just don't understand why the danios are picking on the neons so bad!

Itsnot like they don't get fed!

Well they tend to be nippy fish. What size tank? How long have you had the neons that died? If you have the room add more to the neon school and add a couple more danios. Try to keep the attention on them so they can not bother neons.If this doesnt work then I suggest you keep the danios by themselves. I never seen/ heard a prob with keeping danios and Neons together. What are the other fish? What are the parameters?

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
I've got 7 danios (zebras, leopards, long finned, gold) and have had a variety of different neons. I never had a problem with the danios going after any of the other fish in my tank. They chase and nip at each other nonstop but they have never done anything the least bit aggressive to any of the other fish, even when they get up in the danios faces.

Nov 14, 2006
Fishers, IN
www.myspace.com
My danios really reaked havoc on my neons. Always mean to them. My poor neons were constantly hiding at the very bottom of the tank or under a plant. So, i switched them over to the big aquarium where I figure they can fend for themselves. It sometimes helps to add 5 or 6 more danios in an attempt to get them to chase each other and not the other fish in the aquarium. Adding plants/caves or other places for the neons to hide may also help. As previously asked, what is your tank size? Parameters, ect

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
iv had probelems with danios, they are the sole surviver whenever there is a probelem.

my danios are extremely nippy, iv noticed that if you keep them in groups then they are less aggressive than if there are 1 or 2

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I have a 10 gal and before my mom bought me fish for a suprise and compleatly messed up my over crowded balance I HAD 12 neons and 7 zebra danios. never had any problems with them chasing eachother or anything. then my mom bought the fish. now I got 1 neon and 2 danios. out of the original ones that survived a compleat cycle twice. they live through that but 6 new fish kills almost all of them off. but anyway I've never heard of anyone haveing problems with neon and danio cohabitation.