Dark pocket in sand

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I was sticking a plant back in the sand and found that there was a pocket of dark gray colored sand. Sucked it out with my handy dandy turkey baster but was just wondering what the heck it was??

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
was it inside the sand, or on top?

I get some brown spots under my sand sometimes, usually just dead spots that just need a stir. Was the sand clumping together or just discolored?

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
It was an anaerobic area in the substrate where no water movement had caused it to turn...well anaerobic. If you smelled it, it probably would have smelled like rotten eggs/sulfur. Over time, if the substrate becomes like that all over, it will release the stinky gases as bubbles up through the water, which is noxious to the fish.

Stirring the gravel every so often will prevent this from happening (because it allows air/water movement in there. If you find a dark spot like that again, you can just till it up to the surface. Come back the next day and it should be regular sand-colored sand again:)

It happens more with sand and smaller particle substrates because they compact more. I've experienced it in a sand tank, too.

"http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/plants/kumar_substrate.html"

A small blurb in there under "Substrate Particle size" says basically what I just said.

Last edited:

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Ahhh, so that's what an anaerobic pocket looks like! I've tried to make sure I stir things up but I hadn't done it in a while, and I probably was just missing that one spot because there was a plant near by.

Thanks for the link.

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
In the first weeks after I started my tank, I had anaerobic pockets that I had to keep stirring up. A good natural solution is to plant something with an extensive root system that will stir and oxygenate the sand. My Amazon Swords have grown to the point where their roots cover pretty much all of the sand areas of my tank and I no longer have a problem with anaerobic pockets.