Day 2 of putting my fish in, & 2 are dead...

michele08

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2011
I set up my 10 gal tank Tuesday, put in those drops to make tap water safe. Let my tank run for a day er so then yesterday I put in 2 albino cory cats & 3 x-ray tetras. I woke up this morning to my smallest tetra dead, & now my 2nd to smallest tetra is dying. What did I do wrong? The temp is between 75-79. I feed them & they don't eat. :(

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
I had this problem about a month ago and here are some questions. Did you just throw the fish in the tank and not let them get adjusted to the current temperature in your tank? Did you set the new fish in a separate tank just to see if your about to bring contaminated fish inside your tank? And also did you add more water condition then you thought? I don't really like adding chemicals and if I do if half of what's said.

michele08

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2011
I had this problem about a month ago and here are some questions. Did you just throw the fish in the tank and not let them get adjusted to the current temperature in your tank? Did you set the new fish in a separate tank just to see if your about to bring contaminated fish inside your tank? And also did you add more water condition then you thought? I don't really like adding chemicals and if I do if half of what's said.
Yeah, i let them sit in the tank in their baggies for 30min to an hour. & no, i didn't place them in a separate tank. & i'm not sure if i added more than needed.
None my fish that are alive aren't looking very alive...were these good starter fish?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
What kind of drops did you use to 'make your tap water safe'? If it was something that purports to instantly cycle your tank, it may work, but lots of people find it doesn't. If it was something to dechlorinate your tap water, it would have done little to help cycle your tank. You need to get your tank cycled - it might be easier (read: more humane) to take back the fish you still have and do a fishless cycle. If you choose to keep your fish, they might survive the cycling process, but it is hard on them. Either way, you will need to purchase a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This will be one of the most valuable investments you make and you will use it even after your tank has cycled.
And welcome to MFT!
Cheers,
Laura

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
i believe the drops could be those cycling bubble drop things.. look like water in a bubble.. takes 5 days though,

unless it was aqua safe... either way, next day is not amazing,

You can do a cycle with fish but it is generally better to have very small increases and very hardy fish, for example, in your case i would only have had 2 corys for about a week and a half, then add another... the wait a week then add a couple more and then leave it for a good while...

then stock how you'd like... (add the rest in small groups every week or so).

Nov 5, 2009
CT
Well now all my X-ray Tetras are dead & one cory cat died...one more cory cat left...I'm a failure at this lol.
Poor fishys :(
your not a failure. you just jumped into it too fast. i did the same thing. now is a great time to start over. if its not dead already, return the cory and start the cycle based on those links i put up earlier. a failure is just a learning experience. not a reason to give up*thumbsups

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I agree don't feel like your a failure....everyone has to start somewhere and I'm sure that almost every hobbyist had a similar problem when they first started (myself included!).

There is an article in my signature about doing an emergency cycle. I would check it out!

michele08

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2011
Well all my fish died. I bought some testing kits & will be making sure my tank is good to go before adding anymore fish. This is one expensive hobby...

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Don't worry too much. Think of all the fish you will give happy homes to after you figure this out. Take the last cory back, read the "cycling" post, and read the "freshwater fish profiles" to be sure they fish you want to keep all like similar water conditions.

Buy a ph test kit and find out what your water is like. That will help you decide what fish will do well in your tap water. Do NOT be suckered in if someone at the fish store tries to sell you something to adjust your ph. The swings back and forth that that causes are more stressful to the fish than just adapting to a slightly high or low ph.

Buy an ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kit and use it to determine when your tank is done "cycling".

When you're cycled, start adding fish, but instead of just getting the fish used to water temperature, by floating him in the tank in his little bag, I like to:

Get a clean glass or pitcher, and my fish net. Open the bag with the fish in it. Hold it so that it floats in the tank, but the water and fish stay in the bag. Use the glass to pour a tiny drizzle of tank water into the open bag. Wait a few minutes. Add another tiny drizzle. Wait a few minutes... When your bag is getting so full of tank water that it is hard to hold, net the fish out of the bag and put him in the tank. Pour the bag full of fish store water and tank water down your sink. This way you get the fish used to your water chemistry as well as water temperature, and you don't pour nasty, germy, fish store water into your clean tank.

Oct 29, 2010
Two more cycling links in my signature if you want to do some more reading :)

Good luck with your tank! It's really great that you are getting a test kit, I'm sure you'll be an amazing fish owner once you get the hang of it!

pauldhass

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
It definitely takes some time to figure it out. It almost seems like once one problem is solved, another pops up, lol. I just started out with this as well. I have a 20H tank with a cichlid and a crab. They are doing great, but I'm still figuring this out too. I seem to be having some algae problems now, but I'm working to get it fixed...just waiting on funds. It's a fun and rewarding hobby. Just stick with it, and you'll have a blast watching your fish swimming around and playing with each other. Also, I'm sure you've already read the cycles that were posted. Just remember that cycling is extremely important. The fishless cycle is the safest, and all you need is some clear ammonia from walmart or someplace like that. Just follow the directions in adding the ammonia to the tank and testing, and your tank will cycle fairly quickly.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Be very careful with ammonia if you decided on a fishless cycle. "Pure" and "Clear" does not necessarily mean it doesn't have surfactant in it. The fact that it doesn't suds doesn't mean that either - I just read where someone found that out, then read in little print "contains surfactant". I, personally, was never able to find plain ammonia. I think the most important thing when starting is populate slowly, test for ammonia & nitrite frequently, until you get nitrate and change a goodly percent of water frequently - daily if necessary - at the first slightest hint of ammonia.