Dead Coral?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
To try and make a long story short.......I took this coral from my dad's tank because he is having MAJOR cyano problems and everything (except the fish) has been dying on him. He had to go out of town until Sunday, so was unable to try and 'fix' things. I took this in the hopes that it might come around.

What do you think? Is it a goner?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I don't think it is a goner. If you took it out of the tank just give it some flow, but not too much. The flow should help get rid of the cyno. I don't know too much about that coral so I don't know if they like a lot or a little flow. I realized that corals are tougher than you might think.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yep, it's a Leather. Capnella...Kenya Tree. I stuck it under the flow....it had some gross algea stuck to it and my hermits have already cleaned it.
I hope it comes around because it would be nice to be able to give it back to my dad once he gets his tank issues straightened out...he's feeling a little discouraged right now. :(

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yeah he's working on a closed loop system. I think his problem is more compound then that though....he has a DIY skimmer that I think wasn't up to par. He's made some modifications to get it working better, so hopefully that will help.

****not to mention he has large crushed coral substrate..:eek: I've finally convinced him to switch over to aragonite sand, so we'll be doing that when he gets back in town.

I've done a little reading on these corals and the recommendation is usually to cut off the 'diseased' areas....but I really don't know where I'd have to start cutting and I certainly don't want to start hacking it up. So I think I'm just going to give it a little time and wait and see.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
They need good indirect flow, they love wavemakers, most species need strong lights to develop..weak lights can keep them alive, but they just don't grow well in most cases...and they hate algaes. If you have encrusting or filamentous algaes on it, it will shrivel a while.
BTW sarco frags are harder to keep alive than grown ones. Some have problems with infections and the "scars" don't heal well.
In many setups, large healthy sarcophyton are seen on the top of the reef, like 2 inches under the water line.
Looking at you pic, i wouldn't know where to cut 'cause i don't see any white areas. Looks like a disease.
BTW cute zoanthids :)

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Better and Better

Thanks everyone.

Here it is today. It's more then tripled in size and it's looking awesome. I can't believe how hardy these things are! And how quickly it made a come back.