dead corals

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well for some reason my yellow star polyps have pretty much completly died off. all the water perameters are fine and everything else in my tank it thriving. but the polyps started to turn kinda dark and then they would open up "to far". I say to far cause the center of the polyps would turn into a dome shape and then the tenticals would poind down to the base. then a day after they did that they would not open and the tenticals would turn a bright yellow. then they would never open again and they just rot away. any ideas? and I will post pics.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I got alot of those tiny blue/grey starfish but they are never near them that I see and they don't seem to be getting ate up. they just act funky then close up and die.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
this pic is 24 hours after the last. as u can see the center of the stalk where the tenticals are hidden are bright yellow. but they will not open and odds are will pretty much be dead by tomorrow and falling apart by saturday if things hold steady as they have been. I mostly got the piece for the coraline algea but would be nice if the polyps didn't die lol. I know saltwater is kinda finiky compaired to fresh but it's strange to see things like this happening and not being able to figure it out pretty easy like u can with fish.

Attachments

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, things can go bad very fast in saltwater. I've lost colonies that were growing for years almost overnight. Sometimes, there's no obvious reason at all. With new corals, it's even more likely.

Are you sure your water params are good? A low alk can make zoas and their cousins melt away fast.

You could try a dip with iodine to see if it works. It doesn't usually harm anything, and it's worth a try if you have reef iodine around.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I got iodine suppliments but I been reading some corals are rather sensative to it. and I took a water sample to my lfs since they got all the salt test kits and they said everything was in great shape accept the fact that my nitrates are a slight bit high which I already knew that.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
well then lower your nitrates. wile holding corals in your tank they should be as close to 0 as possible.

also i know my palythoa do the same turning inside out thing sometimes, whenever something in the water if bothering them. i've seen it many times, but its not a common occurrence, and the polyps dont die afterwards. The bright yellow bit is only because the pigmented skin is so close together that the color seems much more intense to you.

There is definitely something in that water that is annoying them.

Those are palythoa i believe.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Did you start them off at the bottom of the tank? Too much light too fast can stress/kill new corals.

I didn't mean adding iodine to the tank, I meant doing a dip outside the tank. It can occasionally kill off pathogens on corals. There should be instructions on the bottle to do it.

It's well worth getting your own tests. What the LFS says is OK may not really be OK. Alk and nitrates can definitely stress corals enough that they'll succumb to disease.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
another 36 hours or so since the last pic. and I would love to get test kits but with truck payments and insurance it been hard to even find the extra $10 a week for my sunday night bowling league lol. but I do trust my lfs, they showed me side by side tests of their tanks and my tanks and everything was within .1-.3 + or - of their tanks. all but the nitrates and I can't figure out the nitrates. I stopped feeding my damsel for 3 days and nitrates did not drop at all. i don't get it and thats the only test that is off. maybe I need a better protine skimmer since I just got a lil $20 counter current. I'm just at a loss. I do have to say though as for the light issue it's about mid way in my tank and I only have a coralife dual t5 light on this tank so it's not high amount of light. I know I kinda rambbled on and sorry about that, just trying to let u all know whats going on in this tank.

on a side note it's kinda odd that I'm only having issues with this one coral as everything else isn't just surviving but thirving. button polyps are spreading as well as my green star polyps and coraline algae. mushrooms are growing.

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
dont worry about them. if nitrates are high, you do ned to do something about that though. feed the damsel 3 times a week, do more frequent water changes, stock macros, w/e you have to do

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well only 2 of those polyps are left and they are not looking good. I been feeding the damsel about once every 2 days for the past week and nitrates are at around 20ppm. everything else is looking good.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I've been trying to. they just will not go down. did a 50% water change and they only dropped 5ppm. and I've tested my replacement water with and without salt and it's at 0ppm.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
How old is the tank now? (I've forgotten). It's reasonably common for nitrates to spike during the first year. Also, are you running a skimmer on there?

Those nitrates will slowly (or not so slowly) kill the corals, so it's really important to get them down.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
a 50%WC will get them down to 10 ppm from 20 ppm.
start running macro algae in your fuge, or if you dont have one, in your display. also do those 50% WCs.

make sure youre not using anything like a dirty canister filter or filter in general that has filter foam/sponge in it, ceramic media or anything like that.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I got a cheap counter current protein skimmer on this tank and no standard filter to trap nitrates. the tank is about 5-6 months old for me but I got it used and the lady had it for about 2 years prior with 23 pounds of live rock the whole time.