Dead Fireshrimp

TammyLynn

Small Fish
Jul 31, 2003
California
Visit site
Dead Fireshrimp..help?

This morning during feeding I noticed my fire shrimp was dead. When I pulled him out he was obviously in the process of shedding.
Does anyone know of this happening? Or was this from a different cause?

The only other tankmates (50 gal tank) is another fire shrimp and a goby, so I doubt foul play was the problem.

I understand that these things happen but as a new fishowner I am obviously a little concerned.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

TammyLynn

Small Fish
Jul 31, 2003
California
Visit site
ANOTHER ONE!

Today my other fire shrimp died! It was the same thing, he was half-molted and laying dead at the bottom of my tank!!

He was alive 2 hours ago when I was feeding him and my goby. I could hardly see him behind a rock but his antennae were moving so I assumed he was alive.

Now I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank which is hosting nothing but a lonesome goby :(

Anyone have any idea of what could have caused this? They have been in the tank for at least 2 months, and seemed healthy and happy.

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
Any ammonia in the water can be deadly to inverts. I would also be careful with the temp. While 86 is fine, once you get in the 88-90 range, you will start stressing out your tank and losing inhabitants.

Brian

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Tank sonds too hot and ammonia is not good. For a tanks thats over 2 months there should not be any ammonia present. Does this tank have live rock??? The biological filtration seems to be going or vewry weak that tis point.

TammyLynn

Small Fish
Jul 31, 2003
California
Visit site
Yes the tank is several months old, although has only been in my house for 1 month... my sister had to deploy overseas suddenly and the tanks were brought to my house so I don't know a ton about fishkeeping just yet.

There is live rock in the tank, and it is still alive and growing.

I am not sure why the ammonia is there, or maybe I did the test wrong, which is why I need to go by the fish store to get it checked by pros.

The heat is stable at the 86 degree mark, I know it is high but I don't have A/C here and its been hot this summer. I will checkon getting a chiller when I go by fishstore.