Dead fish

albo

New Fish
Dec 5, 2005
New York
I picked up 3 female swordtails on dec 21 and added them to my tank. water test results were as followed amm=0,nitrite=0,nitrate=10,ph=7.4. then on thursday dec 22 i did a 20% water change. All fish looked good. when i awoke today i found one of my black tetras dead. I tested the water again and attained the same results.water temp 78. Black tetra was one of original fish, and i had him over a year. Old age or something else? Should i pick up another black tetra to go with the one remaining one.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome to the tank!

Tetras are not very long lived fish. Also sometimes fish "just die" for no apparent reason. Honestly you need to fix your stocking. You will be at your max but you will be ok. Increase your tetra numbers to 6 for each species. And loose the silver dollar. They are also a schooling fish, but get to be a hefty size, and would way over stock your tank to keep 6 of them.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Pure said:
Welcome to the tank!

Tetras are not very long lived fish. Also sometimes fish "just die" for no apparent reason. Honestly you need to fix your stocking. You will be at your max but you will be ok. Increase your tetra numbers to 6 for each species. And loose the silver dollar. They are also a schooling fish, but get to be a hefty size, and would way over stock your tank to keep 6 of them.
welcome to the tank indeed dude...
sorry to hear about your tetra...

i'm a newbie...so what do i know...
pure is da bizz...follow that advice i guess... :)

Nov 29, 2005
Virginia
it might have gotten the most un noticable disease ffor your new fish. some diseases you can't see or even know they are there, it happened in my 20 gal. i went from 15 fish down to 2. and none of them had a noticable disease

albo

New Fish
Dec 5, 2005
New York
Thanks for the info. how long would it take for the silver dollar to out grow the 40 gal streach hex.I have had him for about a year and he is only about 3 inches long head to tail and about 1.5 inches from top to bottem?