Dead gourami =(

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
I just found my dwarf gourami dead in my 5.5g. :( I found him sorta wedged at the surface between the tank and heater. At first glance I thought he was just chilling there, until I checked on him. He had "bruises" on his sides and dark purple marks on the top of his head, none of which were there when I left. Now, I could tell he wasn't that comfortable the past week. He was very lethargic and didn't eat flakes. He mostly stayed near the bottom picking at shrimp pellets and algae tablets for my pygmy cories.

I had a dwarf gourami and 4 pygmy cories and have been doing weekly water changes (25-30%). Gonna get my water tested tomorrow at lfs (i don't have a test kit sadly) and see where my parameters are at. Hopefully it wasn't because of ammonia or nitrite buildup. If it is and they're low, I might try a fancy tail guppy or something else small. The cories are really small and seem healthy. They always pick at the shrimp pellets or algae tablets, but I need something to cover the mid/upper area of the tank. Any suggestions? A betta will sort of be a last resort, because I don't want one that will end up being aggressive to my cories. I started with just the dwarf gourami and said I wouldn't go for the pygmies after asking here, but couldn't resist. >_< They were just too cute, but I'm really sad I lost the gourami.

On a totally different topic, I forsee a big snail outbreak coming in my tank. :eek: Every day I see new white specs or tiny snails and I'm crushing as many of them as I can. It started with only 1 hitchhiker snail and I thought it'd be fine if I left it alone. Now I already have at least 8 fairly large snails with baby ones allover the place. Gonna have to try the lettuce trick soon when it gets out of hand. o.0

Feb 27, 2006
Australia
Sorry

Hello there bender.
Sorry to hear about your dwarf gourami. Sounds like he wasnt a very happy fish before he went. It may be possible that the brusing may have been caused when he was between the heater and the tank. It doesnt sound like anything in your tank at the moment would have beaten him up, but anything is possible. It really is worth getting a testing kit so u can keep a regular eye on your tank. Wish i had of had one before i lost a heap of fish, but lesson learnt. I've had a few betta's in my community tanks but take some time and look around, talk with people and dont forget to mention the size of your tank so that u can get something suitable for other tank and the fish you currently have. Maybe a couple of swordtails or mollys? Nice active little fish that wont out grow your tank and are usually pretty well behaved. If you havent been to the fish shop yet you could maybe take a couple of the adult snails and see if the shop can identify them and help with a solution. Hope things get better for u soon.

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
So I got my water tested and they said ammonia and nitrites were fine. I have no clue what killed my gourami then. :( I picked up two male guppies while I was there, since they're still colourful and are hardier. Hopefully things are better with this setup.

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
Geez, they're so hyper right now being in a new environment. They also seem to be starving! >< I'm using an elastic band as a feeder ring with the thermometer holding it in spot (wasn't doing this for the gourami, so it wasn't the cause). Once they found the food spot they just swarm that area and fight for the flakes, lol. Kinda nice to have fish that aren't picky about food. My betta was really picky and so was the gourami.

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
Ya, I think I'm gonna start doing this soon. Question though... what do you do with the veggie afterwards? >< Just throw it in garbage? I'm afraid they'd all start crawling out or lay eggs in the trash, lol.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Know anyone with puffers or loaches? LOL Actually I was wondering the same thing, although I'll have loaches everywhere, so if I ever get a snail problem, I'll just plop it in another tank! :)

Sorry about the gourami, it really sucks to loose fish. Expecially ones that pretty!