dead leather what now-

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise

I have no idea how this happened everthing else is fine...Anyway is it a good idea to cut the top off and try to repropogate the bottom half or is this leather toast? If so what would be the best way to try to salvage some of it? Thanks for all your help in advance....

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I'm having a similar problem with my colt coral, jammerz (sorry for semi-hijacking!). All other livestock is doing teriffic, but colt looks like it's dying. I'm running carbon just in case, and I've adjusted the powerhead for best water movement (tried several angles). Water readings are fine.

I got the coral the Friday before the 4th of july.
Here's what it looked like a day after introduction to the tank:

And its state now:

It seems to perk up a little in the morning and at night, but still limp, shrunken, and now the un-polyped skin is starting to wrinkle. The polyps extend, mostly, for the majority of the day, but around the afternoon it turns into what is shown above.

I think it may be my temperature. Last several days, it's gotten in the mid eighties, once getting up to 86. What's your temp, Jammerz?

I'm going to kill the light earlier, only giving the tank about 8 hours or so. See if that helps any...

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No his problem is simply it toppled over and likely looks a bit skanky. Yours is dying. Q1 - what you feeding it, 2 ) has it been dyed.
In all honestly I'm not even sure it's a true 'colt', rather it's a scleronephya or similar

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I've tried feeding it mysis (frozen) and cyclopese from a turkey baster. Have only done that once or twice though.

It isn't dyed. It had been in the LFS for sometime too, I believe.

Here's a pic of how it looks today when I've been regulating the temp. by floating bags of ice. Temp hasn't gone above 82 degrees f.

Attachments

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hmm, I know what it looks like, a dendro-, sclero or plain nepthea. Colts just aren't that colour. I'd say that the temp swings are the ;ast straw for the camels back. 82 isn't warm for a reef incidentally, but the variation won't help.

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
so i tried standing that leather up it just keeps keeling over. its starting to shrivel like raisin. Would now be a good time to try to salvage the bottom half or dice it up and try to repropagate it? or should i just throw it away. Could this have happened cuz of temp. (82-84)? But wouldn't the clam be one of the first to go if it was temp? The clam and all other corals looking great....im baffled, is it possible that it was just time for the leather to check in? i imagine they could be like trees and live a long long time if everthing is good, but i didn't do or add anything new, and everytjing else is sweet....hmmm :confused: :confused: :confused:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
OK, first of all you need to get the rock it's on suppored so it doesn't keel over.

Do you have any algae growing on it, particularly in the middle? You need to blow this off.
Does it all look good, or is it kind of soft and cheesy? If you stick a knife in does it feel semi hard, or kind of mushy. If it's mushy you can try cutting it out, and using good low to keep it clean.
More photos please, especially of the top. I've found that if they've had algae growing in the internal cup for a while you might need to chop it up to save it.
How much has it grown while you've had it? Lighting, flow?

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise

the top part is kind hard not mushy, no algae has grown on it. It looks crinkly and whiting out, kind cauliflowery. Also no detrius has ever settled on it cuz of to much water flow.

It has always had really good flow, and it sets at the bottom of the tank under 250w metal halide 10000k. its grown quited well since i've had it (5 months). this all happened in a matter of 2 days!!

what now my friend?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sit it out a couple more days I think, see what happens. I would also maybe use a toothbrush to clear off the cauliflowery stuff.
Are any polyps extending at the other end?