Dead Molly Babies :-(

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Hello!

Well I have three mollies and one gave birth! The fry was live and I saved a few of them which was great!

The other two mollies have been what I can only assume as giving birth but to dead babies. They look a like a very big bits of black poo but I'm sure they are not as they are shaped like squashed fry.

Why has this happened and are they okay? They have been coming out for the last two hours or so.

Also, now that they've popped, does that mean I won't have any more babies as they are all females?

Thank you x x x x x x

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Once mollies are pregnant, they pretty much stay pregnant. Livebearers can give birth to multiple broods from one mating. They store the sperm packets and keep them alive.

I am very concerned about 2 fish giving birth prematurely at the same time. I have only had one molly ever deliver prematurely like you are describing. She was quite ill and did not live. Are your fish acting and looking healthy?

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
it is possible in times of general stress for mollies to give premature birth. it also sometimes happens when there are too many babies inside them they might shoot out some to make some room for the rest. I had a micky mouse platy that would do that every time she gave birth, she would end up giving premature birth to about a half dozen a week early. It was an easy way to tell when the rest were coming.

Cammie

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2010
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Yup they both seem very happy, swimming all over the place and they still have a little belly on them so I'm guessing they still are yet to pop!

Are mollies generally quite dominent? They seem to be chasing my other two guppies and each other!

x x x x