Dead Rock - What to do with it?

jiffy

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2004
Visit site
I bought two tanks recently, that I have filled but just sitting stored in my basement. One of the tanks was SW with crushed coral. The crushed coral is still in the tank, however the tank is just filled with normal tap water.

I also have 30-40lbs of no long live rock sitting in a box. The stuff smells, and it will be a while before I start a SW tank, if I do infact decide to do it at all.

What should or could I do with the dead rock in the mean time? I was thinking about just putting it in the tank and running a filter with some active carbon for a while.

Side note - I MAY decide to use this rock in an african cichlid tank.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Scrub it down real good with water and let it dry out, pop it in whenever you're ready... as long as you put in some "live" live rock it will seed and will slowly turn back into live rock. Id take out the water and let the stuff sit dry until you need it, being wet it could host bad freshwater bacteria and other not so pleasant things.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Rohn, When it is totally dried out and dead it is perfectly fine to put in, nothing to die off in curing process. Seeding is perfectly fine, it is organisms on the "live" live rock multiplying and spreading to the dead live rock. Hope this helps.