Dead Silver Hatchet Tetra

Oct 22, 2002
Salt Lake City
I have three of these guys in my ten gallon and they have been doing just fine...they were all active and they were like a little cute clique and this after noon one just dropped dead...I don't know why. The others seem to be fine. There is no apparent disease. I have had these fish for almost 2 weeks and have had ZERO problems...my tank was fully cycled.

The only other happening was that my molly gave birth to a bunch of babies recently...

HELP!!!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
These guys usually die for no warning if water conditions aren't just so. They're pretty much all wildcaught, so if you don't have acidic, soft water with NO SALT, you're gambling.

RogerL

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
I have experienced the same thing. Had five in my 55 gallon community tank and have lost one a month for no apparent reason over the past 3 months. Ammonia and nitrites consistently at zero. Tank at 76 degrees.

water is very slightly alkaline (pH 7.2) with total hardness at ~75 ppm.

First you have to go over a list of things because even if just one fish died there could be serious problems. First check the PH of the water and the temperature. Also think about how old the fish was and how long you have had him. Then check your filters. I have a 2 system charcoal filter and an anti - bacterial wheel. My tank is also at a solid 86 degrees. Fish like that. I have all tetras in my 40 gallon tank. 3 of these little guys, 4 zebra tetras, 3 neon tetras, a snail, and 3 other guys. Take in mind what other fish you had in the tank if any. And I know this sounds gross but if you still have the fish inspect him to see anything wrong. Even if you do not find anything change your water and your filters just to make sure because just getting the dead fish out of the water is not going to fix the problem. And keep in mind that each 1 inch fish should have 2 gallons of water to themselves and 3 gallons for 2 inch fish. But then again maybe he just died of malnutrition, not enough food, or the wrong food, or something like that.

~ Crystal *GOLDFISH*

Last edited: