Dead silver shark??

lil_shez

Medium Fish
Jul 3, 2005
Australia
today i noticed one of my silver sharks had died. i netted it out and did a partial water change.
I still havn't found the reason why it died but when i bought it from the aquarium it was really skinny and it didnt gain any weight for the month and a bit i had it.

im just a bit worried that if it had a disease that it might have already passed it onto my other fish.

Does anyone know a good site that explains all the different diseases in the aquarium???

thanks

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Silver or Bala sharks are very prononed to diseases. They are very peaceful and passive and can easily be bullied by more aggressive fishes.

These fishes are schooling fish. It is recomended that you have atleast 3 in the school.

Rohn

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I am not sure if bala sharks are prone to disease, they may be. However, they are especially prone to poor water quality. Alot of times when there is an unnoticed ammonia spike or something along those lines, neon tetras and bala sharks will be the first one's to kick the bucket. Your first step when a fish dies without warning is to test your water.

Aaron

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2004
Right under your boat...
Before you lynch the CAE there is a possibility the shark was doomed from the day you got it. Never buy "skinny" or sick looking fish save your pity for ragamuffin puppies as they will appreciate it. A sick fish can linger for months before kicking the bucket and sending you scrambling around trying to figure out what went wrong. The shark could have had a parasite, a recent infection or just have been stressed at the store. Failing that blame the angelfish don't be fooled by the name they have evil in their hearts.