Dead Tiger Oscar :(

Nachost

Small Fish
Jun 20, 2012
Is it possible that my Oscar died from chomping on my Green spotted Puffer? The puffer escaped but Oscar was dead the next morning.it was accidental during feeding? They had been together for 6 months with out trouble.
1.5inch puffer,
6inch Tiger oscar.

Feb 27, 2009
All puffers are poisonous, so it is certainly possible.

Did you know the Tetraodon nigroviridis is a brackish-water fish? Its needs cannot be met in a freshwater tank?

Last edited:

Nachost

Small Fish
Jun 20, 2012
Yes i am aware of that. But my wife wasnt when she got at Wallyworld(got diseases shortly after.)"cured" disease. They have been fine but i am looking to put it in a smaller brackish tank. Or find a new home for them. I do have some salt in the tank. 1.5 table spoons per five gal. All the fish seem happy :)

90gal tank
Marineland C-360
Bubbler
Some plants.
-Tiger oscar dead
2 spotted green puffers 1.5" each, best friends
2 Jack dempsey 4"b 2"g
1 Black convict 3"
1 Flowerhorn 3"
1 pleco 8"

Feb 27, 2009
I don't know how you can judge a fish as being 'happy,' but with the mix of incompatible species you list, it will be difficult to keep them alive and thriving. You don't say what type of salt you are using, but the puffers need brackish water (marine salt, not aquarium salt) and the rest do not.

Good luck.

Feb 27, 2009
Can these be kept in full SW? I didn't realize these things get 7" long until I looked them up on the net.
If you mean the puffers, yes, they can be in full SW. They don't do will with their own kind, and can be nippy with other fish, but for the most part, if you feed them well, they do ok.

I had one that was 8" when I sold the SW tank when I moved from Florida. Very 'oscar' like in personality.