Dear Lord, I'm Going CRAZY!!!

Aug 30, 2003
Floridian Hillbilly
I NEED to ID a fish.
I live in panama city florida.
There are these blue/black ribbony fish that swim at the surface of the water.They seem to get about 2 ft in length.They look like ribbons/snakes swimming through the water....well.....more like gliding.....please someone tell me what they are! I Am Going CRAZY!!!!!!! LOL. *ALL* *crazysmil

Aug 30, 2003
Floridian Hillbilly
no, i dont think so.
I really think they are some sort of fish, not a snake.I've seen them in a book or online before....but i cant remember anything about them!
Ya know, they sort of look like those cleaner fish that hang onto sharks.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Go to the bookstore and browse books on fishing. We have similar but smaller fish called sand eels, but they're only 4 or 5 inches tops.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Sharksucker - a memeber of the Echeneididae family of fish, which inclued remoras and suckerfish. I've seen them before too, although I was unsure of which exact speices. They're pretty cool. They look like a remora, with the sucker plate on their head, but they are smaller, with black and white stripes.

I use Peterson's Field Guides, Atlantic Coast Fishes, to ID native marine speices because this book has about everything! The drawings are pen and ink though, and sometimes not in color. Other field guides might help if they have photographs instead of drawing.
~~Colesea