Death! and algae

Jul 15, 2006
Plainfield Illinois
We were on vaca for 10 days and had a nephew stay at our home. Before we left I lost my albino cat to a strange "hole" that grew larger and larger. Now I am down two red platys, a gray mickey mouse platy AND my beloved pleco! Algae seems to be everywhere! Perhaps my nephew left all my blinds wide open for a few days (which I do not do). My alkalinity and nitrates were off the charts when I got back, which I attributed to one of my dead platys that had been there for who knows how long. I started immediately doing water changes which has been bringing things down... but then my pleco died.
I have always had hard water... the nitrites are not registering, nitrates are still around 40, and the alkalinity is still high, although it has started coming down.

I gave the tank a good scrub on the sides and below the gravel line because the green algae was everywhere. I took out two of my rocks to soak and scrub, but I did leave one in there to keep some algae in there. My plant looks like crap - it seems to be covered also.

My question: I need some "cleaner fish". I was thinking of looking for ottos, since plecos get so big. Do you think I can get a couple new fish? I mean, the water conditions are not horrible. I definitely need something to keep the algae in check.

Also - should I probably add another plant?

Any advice would be welcome - I still am far from being an expert on this stuff.

Thanks!

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Sounds like there may have been some overfeeding going on as well. When my niece dumped a whole cup of fish food in the tank, despite vacing out as much as I could get, I got TONS of algae, expecially below the gravel line. I say get another plant to help battle the algae and level things out a bit, then worry about adding more fish. I would suggest a rubber lip pleco, bristle nose pleco, or a school of ottos. Definitly keep an eye on things for a while since the cory was sick, I'd wait at least a month (while observing the fish closely) before adding any other fish.