Death of an Emerald Crab

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I awoke this morning to find the new Emerald crab dead. I did hope it was just his shed skin, but no such luck. I purchased him about 4 days ago and drip acclimated him for 2 hours. He was never the busy cleaner I hoped him to be. Perhaps I should've gone with the sally light foot after all. Water params were all normal last night. Anyone have any idea what might have been his demise?

Should I have supplemented his diet with seaweed or something. He had plenty of diatoms to gorge on.

Should I be supplementing my green brittle stars diet? I would HATE to lose him. He does take flake and anything else that floats his way.

Any thoughts, comments and pep talks appreciated.

Poor little guy :eek:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
sorry to hear about that, its always frustrating to lose an animal; it sounds like it may have just been a fluke. the emerald likely won't eat diatoms. as far as supplementing the diet of your inverts it depends on your system and your feeding habits. if you have a lot of LR and feed regularly they probably scavenge enough to get by.

Jul 29, 2005
I have no live rock!!

That will hopefully be changing by few pounds at least today.

So I am guessing that was his demise, starvation. Although since he entered my system with the brittle star, I have been over feeding a little to encourage the star to come out, and as a result a little extra detritus should have been available.

Any more thoughts?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2005
OCC: Are you refering to my deceased Emerald crab or my brittle star who might like dried seaweed?

Aresgod: Although that sucks for Emerald Crabs, it's good to hear that I didn't make a mojor booboo.

I don't think I'll rush out and buy another one just yet. He wasn't very interesting as he wasn't very active. But as said, he might've just been a bad one. I think I'll read up on Sally lightfoots and Arrow crabs as they seem more active and overall more interesting.

Thanks again guys.