debating live rock and update

Jul 22, 2004
northern illinois
Visit site
my 2 newest additions to my tank,,, i finally did the last change of crushed coral to live sand and the fish are doing fine too,,,, im impressed with how natural it looks and the other new member to our family is a blue star (for my daughters birthday she picked this out, most 7 year old girls would get a barbie..lol) my littlest anemone has disappeard but being he is only the size of a quarter at most,, he is always hard for me to find,,, im hoping he is hiding in a crevace of the live rock, now im looking into more live rock but waiting awhile til i find out how much i really want to add... i know it looks like it needs more to me and i guess about a pound per gallon is good (means i need about 38 more lbs) but still debating whether or not to add all at once.... i have read conflicting articles on adding a little or all at once and i talked to camaro a little about this,,, but still struggling with what to do.....

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You will want cured rock (meaning all die off has occured). Sometimes people will order boxes from LFS so they can get better deals...but it may not be cured all the way. The best option is to purchase live rock regardless if it is cured or uncured. Put it in a tub full of saltwater and monitor it yourself. This way you can make sure its cured and you can inspect each piece.

Sep 13, 2003
london
Visit site
"good luck with the blue star "
had problems with the one i had, it got stuck in a hole in my live rock and could not get out of it. it was in their right tight and there was noway that i could get in there to help it, it finally got out after about 2 weeks and died.
sorry for the doomie story but hope yours does a lot better

Jul 22, 2004
northern illinois
Visit site
yes, i need to go out and buy a 20-30 gal rubbermaid tote,,, i was reading and it says to heat to 80 degrees and have water movement and do a 100% water change 2 times a week for 3 weeks and scrub with nylon brush or toothbrush to remove white or dead areas. (all with min. light) after that i am suppose to make a batch of water with gravity of 1.035 - 1.040 and submerse rock in for one minute which will force all invertibrates out (may have to pull some bristle worms off with tweezers),,, put rock in tank and go thru "critters" i want to keep and discard the rest....
does this sound right?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You get the cycle bacteria with the rock anyway, so what's the point. If your rock turns up with all sorts of stuff dying in and out of sight, then your cycled bacteria likely won't handle it.
Where are you getting the stuff from. If it comes in a box by air or whatever expect some death and destruction, if you're buying it from an lfs and it never gets close to drying out it likely won't need to cure unless there's a lot of obvious sponges or similar.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i bought from liveaquaria...i think the stuff i got was really nice. i had it shipped overnight/sat delivery because the only time i could be there to get it was a saturday so it was relatively fresh when it arrived...lots of good stuff on it including some little snails and such. heavily encrusted with coraline. after about 3 weeks most of the pieces are coloring back up and i was pleased. i got their fiji so i dont know what the other stuff they have is like, but i would imagine it is pretty nice.