Deciding on a tank temp

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
What resources do you use to arrive at a temp setting? For example, I am seeing differences of 5º between AqAdvisor and the guidelines at liveaquaria.

Help? :)

Feb 27, 2009
I would do far more research than one helpful guide (aqadvisor) and one place that sells fish (liveaquaria). Sometimes the scientific papers that describe the fish can give you an idea of the conditions a fish lives in in the wild.

One fish mentioned here on the forum lately is the 'white cloud minnow.' It is often sold as a tropical fish, but is more accurately considered a cool water fish. It is found in streams that range from the 50s to the 90s, depending on the season. Keeping them in that range would be 'correct,' so a tropical tank in the high 70s is not out of their comfort zone, nor would keeping them in a goldfish tank in the 60s.

Most fish are very adapable and can tolorate a wide range of temperature. Many of those commonly sold in fish stores are captive-bred in large facilities in Asia and the southern USA where they often do not provide them with the same parameters as the wild-caught fish live in.

Unless you are trying to breed specific fish or keep very sensitive fish, I wouldn't worry too much on providing an 'ideal' temperature. Stability is best for most fish.

Just my 2cents.
OC

Last edited:

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
The LFS down the road keeps every tank they have at around 80 with no heaters. It's our ambient temperature around here.Everything from danios, to cichlids, to goldfish, to tangs all get the same temp and don't go belly up. I think consistency is the key, more than trying to control a specific temp.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
What resources do you use to arrive at a temp setting? For example, I am seeing differences of 5º between AqAdvisor and the guidelines at liveaquaria.

Help? :)
78 degrees and above for tropicals and 75 degrees and below for non-tropicals.

Most tropical fish will do better at 80 degrees and most non-tropicals would be better at 72 degrees.

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Thanks guys.

A follow up: in colder climates, anyone have a good method for warming bottled water before water changes? In MN, despite a crazy warm October (for us, don't laugh!) - my tank's dipping about 4 degrees at every water change.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
mix the water in a bucket with a powerhead and an additional heater. set the heater to the temp you want and let the sucker mix for a while. you will eventually get the water to the exact temp that you set that bucket heater to. you can use any submersible heater in your WC water mixing bucket.