Decision! 5g tank. betta? barbs? guppies/mollies?

Oct 22, 2002
Decision! 5g tank. betta? barbs?

I've just got myself a 5g tank (it was on sale, cant resist!).

This is my last year of college... and My home is 5,6 hours drive away. (1 hour flight)
Is there a way that I can "pack and ship" my fish after I am done with school, so I do not have to give them up?

Debating what tank should I make it into:

1.) 3-5 barbs + water plants:: Pro's: I used to have a 10g barb tank, loved it loved it loved it! From experience, Barbs are tough fish. more fun to stare at 3-5 fish, than 1 betta. Con's:: What to do with THEM after College? will demand more time: water changing, fliter changing.

2.) 1 betta + water plants (and name the fish: Prince, the tank: Castle) Pro's: Tough fish. Easier to keep the water clean (only 1 fish!). and If I have to take risk with the move and such... there will only be 1 death after college. Con's:: But, I would only get to stare at ONE fish! :. { I would feel wastful to use this tank for a betta... coz it comes with water filter, air pump and everything.

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think I'd get the betta and maybe an African dwarf frog for the 5g tank. It's in no way a waste of a tank for a betta, they do a lot better in larger filtered tanks than in a bowl. I think barbs would be too cramped in that size tank.

If you do a search for "moving" on the forum you'll find a lot of advice on how to move fish. Basically, you bag them up, empty the tank but keep the gravel and filter wet, and off you go to the new place. If you're flying, check with the airline beforehand about their policy on fish. Most allow it, but you should check it before you go to the airport. If you can't take the fish on the plane, you could pack it and overnight ship it to your destination.

Methylx

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2006
Ft. Worth
www.myspace.com
Good luck with whatever method you choose! My sister brought me a Koi one time from Oklahoma down to Texas. It was only supposed to be a 3 hour trip but ended up taking 8. Anyway he made it ok in a tupperware bin and is now big and strong in the pond. I think the betta will be pretty tough should you go that route.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I have a 6 gal with a male betta, an otto, and a snail, out of all 7 of my tanks, this is my favorite tank, comming in second is actually a very temproary setup (but working for now), a 5gal hex QT tank with a dwarf gourami, black molly, a snail, and 8 molly fry. I love bubblenesters! :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree, bettas are great little fish. I dont think the 5g would be big enough for your plan of 3-5 little fish unless they were TINY fish and then those TINY fish are less likely to make a move anyway (like neons or ember tetras). I agree that it is not a 'waste' in any way to have filter etc for a betta, they are like other fish that do better in heated filtered water.