Decoration Help

Rares

New Fish
Dec 30, 2009
Well, I'm going to be going to the store (Today) hopefully to get everything I need for my 20g set up.

I'm going to be cycling the tank before loading it with Tiger Barbs. I am kind of at a stand still though because I'm not %100 about what to get. I know to get standard gravel and a thing of (fake??) driftwood. I know they like to have plants on the sides of the tank to hide behind but I'm not sure if fake plants are ok and those are what I'd prefer because I'm still very new to this and don't think I could handle live plants.

Thanks for helping.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
If you'd like some caves, arches, or tunnels, go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a huge bag of river rocks and also some aquarium-safe silicon sealant. You can "glue" the rocks together with the sealant and make little caves, arches, or tunnels. Best of luck!
I used to go to a nearby beach for my slate. I would soak it in a bucket for 2 weeks, the first mix being 1/2 bleach cutting it down from that and refreshing the water every other day to keep washing off salt, after that it would go into a test tank to make sure it was PH nonreactive. I was able to get a ton of brown, black, Grey and light tan slate/shale that way. I also found a few pieces of petrified wood that looked really awesome.