Deep Sea Critters

Aaron

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2004
Right under your boat...
I've always been fascinated by anglerfish and have heard that it could be done (probably with way more money than I have to throw around) but has anyone actually seen it done or know if it is possible? Never mind the actual tracking down of a live specimen.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Amazingly cool fish, I was just looking at a "FROGFISh" similar famaliy as the anglers the other day at my LFS, they had two. I was so tempted to buy one, but not before I read up on them.They need alot of LR for hiding as they are ambush prditors and will sit and wiat for there prey to swim bye them "WAM" they can and will eat most anything that can fit into there massive mouths. The have been know to eat stuff nearley there own size. Check out this link for a quick look at a few anglers and some quick stats and care tips. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=20&pCatId=19&TopCatId=19

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
a friend of my used to have an angler, it was a wicked cool tank but he will eat anything, even things twice the size of him he would eat, he was crazy but very cool and they need atleast a 90 gallon tank

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Lets see anglers are Frogfish. You can keep a really small one in a little tank, but as they grow they will need a bigger tank. The biggest I have seen is about 8-10inches, really fat.

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
I dont know how it could be done; catching one would be near impossible (the pressure change would kill the fish), and i dont know how one would keep it considering it would need no light and hundreds of pounds of waterpressure. It would definitely be the coolest tank ive ever seen though

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i think trying to maintain an appropriate environment for a deep sea angler would be difficult...if you did keep it dark enough then you would have trouble seeing him and I can't even imagine the cost of feeding such a thing...i highly doubt you could even find one

but, im sure it could be done given enough commitment (financial and time)

Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
im sure if it was brought up from the bottom of the ocean slow enough over a period of a few days it wouldnt explode, but it would be eligal. even if you could get on to the surface and home it would be kinda pointless because you would never be able to see it. but arent fish blind to red light? so you could put a red pc on top of it. just some thoughts.

Last edited:

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
Im fairly sure its only inverts that are blind to red light, though im not entierely sure about that. most deep sea anglers are known to fluoresce, so i wouldnt be too worried about lighting. I would be worried about how the heck you'd recreate that much water pressure in a fishtank. Youd have to make the majority of the tank out of metal, and have a very thick piece of plexiglass or something as a view hole. Wouldnt exactly be a coffe table discussion piece under those conditions.