Diagnosis of sick damsel?

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
My domino damsel has had a strange thing going on around his mouth lately. It looks as though the skin around his mouth is thinned out or stretched out so that its a lighter color than the rest of him. He hasn't been exhibiting any unusual behavior besides his usual aggressiveness but he has actually been getting along with my false clowns very well.

Does anyone have any experience with what this discoloration around his mouth can be? My dad seems to think it's a worm or some sort.

Please and thanks!

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
no picture but here are the parameters from the tank he was taken from. he is now in QT with the same water but unfortunately, no filter just yet. i think tonight we are adding a trickle filter in.

salinity 1.023
ph 8.1
nitrites 0
nitrate 20
ammonia 0
kh 13!!
calcium 400
temp 80

nitrates and kh are too high, i know. we are doing partial water changes to help alleviate this.

just now he was having a lot of difficulty breathing, his gills were moving rapidly and seemed a bit red underneath. he was darting around the tank for a minute but now he seems to be back to normal.

So weird! i don't want him to die :(

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
I just looked at my damsel and he has an inch long white string-like thing coming out from where he poops. Is this a worm? there are shorter pieces of the same thing on the bottom of the tank but they are not moving. I don't think it is actually poop..cause poop isn't normally white, right?

anyone, someone, please!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Sounds like Brooklynella have you had this damsel a long time? either that or it could be velvet or amyloodinium. Google some of these for various treatment methods. I am glad you have him in a qt. good luck and keep us posted, I hope he pulls through for you

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
thanks lorna, I will definately check out the symptoms for those diseases and see which one he has.

I've had him about a month, maybe 5-6 weeks and he's had the weird skin thing around his mouth for probably about 2-3 weeks but i didn't think too much of it, I thought perhaps it was a sting/cut from an anemone cause he likes to sleep inside one of the anemones...it's really the cutest thing. lol

thanks again.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Is it just that one piece of stringie thing? If it's covering the fish then it sounds like brook to me. If not I do not know.

FYI, your nitrates aren't too high. If you have inverts then I wouldn't all it to get any higher if possible. Your KH is a tad high though.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
He died early yesterday night. It was very sad! I thought he had died earlier on in the day because he was lying on his side not moving at all. I even unplugged everything and was waiting for my boyfriend to dispose of him (I'm too queasy to do it myself) and when my boyfriend got here, the fish was still alive! He seemed okay for a couple hours and then he passed away.

Thanks for the help tho, I appreciate it.