Diatom or Radiolaria colonies

May 1, 2008
I did a quick search online to try and figure out what is going on with the algae in my tank. We also have these green spots all over the glass that are IMPOSSIBLE to scrub off. I found a brief description of Diatom or Radiolaria colonies and it sounds like that what those are...but no good ideas as to WHY i have them or how to get rid of them. Ideas? Just too much light?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
kind of curious about your tank specs, you have a lot of fish!

too much lighting and possibly more water changes would help a bit. How have you been maintaining your tank?

you shouldnt keep a lot on for more than 8-10 hours a day. Realistically, you do not even need a light, it is strictly for aesthetic purposes, unless your tank is planted, in which case your typical lighting would not suffice

May 1, 2008
It's a 60 gallon tank with a 15W florescent light and an Eclipse daylight light. I have the marineland filters with biowheels (hopefully I am saying this correctly) -I buy marineland C filters when replacing. I have never replaced the little wheels that spin-there are two of them. Anything else I am missing?

May 1, 2008
I use tap water and then put in a de-chlorinator. Does planted mean what it sounds like: plants? I have a couple of plants in there but they don't tend to live too long...they get black algae all over them. I have no idea what they are.