Diatoms or brown Algae

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Are diatoms and brown algae the same thing? What will eat that stuff? I've noticed a couple spots of it on my powerheads and skimmer. I had some on my live rock, but is somehow gone now. Would a Astrea snail eat it?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No diatoms are diatoms (animals)and algae are algae (plants). Diatoms usually disappear when they've exhausted available silicates - good reason not to use tapwater....
Snails, Cteno tangs eat them

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think nerite snails will eat diatoms though I haven't found any that will clean the sand. I have a black sea cucumber that takes care of my sand bed turning it over. Increasing the flow will help and reduce the light period for a couple of days may help it disapate

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would agree to wait it out and see if the diatoms disappear to be replced by another algae. Most snails will eat them, hermits won't. If you don't have msuh silicate in your water they will inevitably use it all up and disappear after a couple of weeks. If you keep on adding silica in your water changes they will be an ongoing problem.

Expect to see a few types of algaein the tanks first year.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Diatoms (brown algae as is commonly called) is due to mainly SiO4 and PO4 is your water. The best way to get rid of this is using RO water. A diatoms are common symptom of almost all new tanks. A good cleaning crew and sand sifters would help greatly. If you are using RO water, expect the diatoms to dissappear after few weeks.

Rohn