did i kill my anemone

Jul 23, 2006
Hey guys i went to move my anemone tonight and i popped one of its tenticles like thingys he was spewing out cloudy stuff to i got him out of my tank and into a bucket asap he has stop spitting stuff out of the tenticles but he looks liked he is turning inside out is he dead??
i really hope not hes so big and he glows under a black light.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
This may be what is happening. It's from http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

There is something coming out of my anemone’s mouth – what is it?
Anemones only have one opening into their digestive system – their mouth. Once they digest a meal, anything that is indigestible (fish bones, etc) will come back out of the mouth when the anemone is done eating. Additionally, anemones will sometimes “deflate” in order to flush wastes out of their system or to balance internal water chemistry. This water will flow in and out of the mouth, and sometimes contains some body slime, etc. Stringy dark brown substance coming out of the anemone’s mouth is usually a bad sign – it is most often an indication that the anemone is expelling its zooxanthellae due to stress or injury. Finally, when spawning anemones release their eggs or sperm from their mouths. In the case of females, the eggs are colored pheres about the size of poppy or small sesame seeds; in the case of males, the sperm is a lightcolored cloud that looks a lot like smoke.