Did I mess up and not buy a female betta!!??!

Fishatron

Small Fish
Jun 20, 2004
Visit site
I first got into fish when I bought a male betta about 2 years ago. Shortly after his purchase I bought a female betta... or so I thought. Now I'm putting together a planted 10 gallon for my female "betta" who I love very much! While searching the site I noticed all the pictures of female bettas have a very small dorsal fin, while my female betta has a quite impressive fin that seems to have a higher placement on her back than the pictures I have seen.

Is this a female betta, or did I buy something else in my ignorance 2 years ago? (I actually was the one to tell the pet shop owner which fish was the female betta, and I am far from being an expert.)

When I bought her she was completely white and now has beatiful red tipped fins. I will try to post a picture later if possible. She is also very assertive and when I placed the male and female together once, she was the dominate fish!

Anyone have any ideas?

Fishatron

Small Fish
Jun 20, 2004
Visit site
whew, that gives me hope that it is a female betta. I hope she is, with just a strangely large dorsal fin. Is there any other species that looks similiar to a female betta that I could have mixed up? Or rather is a large dorsal fin on a female not usual, but possible