Difference between Saltwater & Freshwater?

Feb 19, 2009
Hi,
Some of you might already know that I'm a new tank owner and having some problems. I need to know the difference between saltwater & freshwater aquarium. Is it like I need to add salt in the saltwater aquarium and don't need no salt for the freshwater? And are these fish saltwater or freshwater -

Red/Blood Parrot
Cichlid
Oscar
Pacu/Piranha

And what should I do in order to maintain a perfect freshwater aquarium?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I don't know much about saltwater aquariums but enough salt is present to replicate a marine environment.

I think aquarium salt is a different thing altogether, it can be added to freshwater aquariums in small concentrations to provide an environment some fish prefer called brackish water, and also to help cure some diseases such as ich.

All the fish you listed are freshwater - and the first three are types of cichlids. "Cichlid" refers to a group of thousands of species of fish. Different species of cichlids can be found in south america, the southern states of north america, africa, and a few places in southern asia, and have been introduced to many other places such as florida, japan and australia.

Out of interest are you planning on keeping those fish together? Oscars grow up to 12 inches. Pacus, which are different to pirahnas, can grow up to 3 feet in some species. And as I'm sure you know, pirahnas should not be kept with any other fish as a general rule, and often only one fish can be kept in a single aquarium depending on what type.

Your last question is a little vague. I could go on for hours and hours about how to actually maintain your aquarium, but do you mean how do you keep the water "freshwater"?

Epic,
There are major differences between saltwater and freshwater tanks. The eco-system that each of them represents are very different and very unique in their own ways. Since you're still very new to the aquatic world, get some books and hit this forum hard. You will find yourself overwhelmed with the amount of information that is available out there.

With freshwater tanks, you don't just add salt to make a salt water tank. There is a delicate balance that needs to be achieved, and the stock of fish that you will use is very different. Salt water tanks allow you to have coral as well, which are not a freshwater species (think Great Barrier Reef)

Also there are some differences in equipment between the two tanks. Typically in a salt water tank you'll find that people use protein skimmers, where as in a freshwater tank you don't usually find that.

There are some VERYGOOD stickies on this forum that you'll want to read about setting up and cycling a tank first and foremost. If you don't start right, the rest of your experience with the tanks won't be a fun one. Read, and read, because we've all made mistakes, and everyone has some good input to get you started.

Welcome to the hobby, welcome to MFT, and Good Luck! Look forward to seeing your tanks when you get them started!

(BTW - A Pacu in a home aquarium not a good idea, if you're thinking about getting one ) Cheers!*celebrate

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
if you go back to the thread you started in the "introduce yourself" section i posted that you should read the stickys and read till you can't read any more. alot of the beginner questions are answered. just by asking is there a diff between salt tanks and freshwater tanks tells me you havent done much of any research on aquariums. please take the time to read. we want you to be successful with your new hobby and give your fish a long and happy life.

everyone here is more than willing to help you but you also need to help yourself cause even though everyone can give you advice you need to apply it since we cant do it for you. i learned the hard way and lost a lot of fish foolishly. had i done the research myself before i got started or knew of this site i could have saved many lives. your lucky you found this site and your fish have the chance that mine didn't have.

as most will tell you salt in a freshwater tank is not needed and the salt in a saltwater tank is a marine salt which has to be measured and pre mixed before adding to a salt tank. the salinity level of a salt tank is a very narrow margine and is to reproduce the levels of the oceans.

keep asking and again please read and research you'll be happy you did. i know i would have and my kids too. they miss their beloved and decised fish but now enjoy the ones we have and care for.

i wish you the best epicfail and hope your experence doesn't become a epic failure.